Yes, you can have an epic dessert with real food ingredients! These Easy Cinnamon Baked Apples are a favorite fall recipe that couldn't be more simple to prepare! They make the perfect healthier dessert topped with frozen yogurt or ice cream, or a fabulous topper for pancakes and oatmeal!
I love the smells of fall in the kitchen. It's one of my favorite things about this time of year. That wonderful aroma of cinnamon with fall fruits like apples, pears, and pumpkin is pure heaven to the senses. This recipe couldn't be easier to make and once you whip up these tasty apples you'll want to keep them on hand for breakfast, snacks, and dessert!
Ideas For Serving Baked Cinnamon Apples
These cooked apples are delicious in a bowl all by themselves. Here are my favorite ways to jazz them up.
- Topped with ice cream or frozen yogurt with toasted nuts (walnuts and pecans are a personal favorite).
- Topped on a bowl of oatmeal
- Spooned over a stack of apple cinnamon protein pancakes.
- Stirred into a bowl of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt.
- Served as a fall side dish for roast pork, chicken, or turkey.
I replaced the brown sugar in my traditional baked apple recipe with coconut sugar. I have used coconut sugar as a replacement for regular sugar in some of my baked goods with great results. Another great natural sugar substitute for cooking and baking is maple sugar. It's hard for me to find, locally, but easy and convenient to buy maple sugar online. I love it sprinkled on oatmeal because you get a ton of flavor with fewer calories than maple syrup.
How To Make Cinnamon Baked Apples In The Oven
For baked apples in the oven, add all your ingredients in an oven-proof dish, cover, and cook at 350 degrees F. for 30-45 minutes, or until apples are soft.
How To Make Baked Apples In The Microwave
This is the easiest method for baked apples and my favorite way to make them. Place the apple slices in a large, microwave-safe dish with a lid. Top apples with sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, coconut oil, and maple syrup, and place the lid on top of the dish. A pyrex dish works great for this recipe. This is a good meal prep recipe for the weekend to portion out for a quick, healthy dessert.
Cook on high for 6 minutes. Stir well, and cook for 6 minutes more until the apples are soft. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
If you are like me and love cooked fruit desserts, these really are the Best Roasted Maple Pears and another must-have fall dessert recipe!
How To Make Baked Apples Without Sugar
You can made baked apples without sugar by simply substituting the coconut sugar and maple syrup in this recipe with Whole Earth sweetener (my favorite choice) or granulated stevia to cut the added sugar. Apples are a source of natural sugar, primarily fructose, so it will still contain carbohydrates from sugar there just won't be any sugar added to the recipe.
How Long Will Cooked Apples Last?
Baked apples will keep up to a week in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Just reheat until warm in the microwave before serving. They are also delicious cold! Try them in a bowl of chilled overnight oats. So delish!
If you love this recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Easy Cinnamon Baked Apples
- 6 apples your favorite type-Mcintosh or Gala bake beautifully, peeled, cored, and sliced into ½ inch slices
- 3 tablespoon blonde coconut sugar you can also use maple sugar, light brown sugar, or a stevia blend
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon real maple syrup
- Peel and slice the apples.
- Place the apple slices into a large (microwave/oven safe) glass bowl with a lid and top with remaining ingredients.
- Cover with the lid and microwave on high for 6 minutes. Stir until well mixed and cook another 4-6 minutes more.
- Let sit for 30 minutes and serve cold, or reheat to serve warm.
- For the oven method, place them in an oven-proof dish, cover and cook at 350 degrees F. for 30-45 minutes, or until apples are soft.