This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Easy Braised red cabbage is a simple side dish recipe made with onions, bacon, beef stock, wine, and vinegar. This recipe is packed with flavor, nutrients, and best of all, ready in under twenty minutes.
Braised red cabbage is one of my favorite side dishes. I love red cabbage just about any way that you prepare it, especially when it involves bacon. I mean, because…well…bacon! If you’re vegetarian you can always leave it out, but I wouldn’t recommend it. The bacon adds incredible flavor to this dish.
Braised red cabbage goes beautifully with roasted chicken, beef roasts, or pork ( I love it with pork tenderloin) and pairs well with mashed potatoes or cauliflower mashed potatoes for a low-carb option. This light and nutritious side dish is typically a fall or wintertime dish, but honestly, it’s perfect any time of year.
Red cabbage not only adds gorgeous color to your plate, but that deep purple plant is loaded with good nutrients! Red cabbage is low in calories and a great source of vitamin C and vitamin K.
Easy Braised Red Cabbage
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 head of red cabbage
- Bacon (I go for nitrate-free)
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- Beef stock
- Red wine Vinegar
- Red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, or Merlot)
- Fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
*Full recipe below.
Braised Red Cabbage
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 large vidalia onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock or chicken
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red wine a good drinking wine is best
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes longer, until onions are translucent. Add cabbage and thyme and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage wilts.
- Pour stock, vinegar and wine over cabbage; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes more. Season with sea salt and pepper and enjoy.