This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Braised red cabbage is one of my favorite side dishes. I love red cabbage just about any way that you prepare it, especially when it involves bacon, like it does in this easy cabbage recipe. 🙂 I mean, who doesn’t love bacon??! Well, I guess that my vegetarian friends would argue with me on that one….sorry guys….you can always leave it out, but it gives such great flavor to this dish.
Bacon gets a bad rap because it’s fatty, but I buy nitrate-free bacon and don’t eat it in large quantities. A little fat is good anyway, but make sure most of your fat intake is monounsaturated instead of saturated fat and it won’t derail your fitness goals.
This braised red cabbage recipe is simple to prepare, and pairs beautiful with pork chops or pork tenderloin. Enjoy.
Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
Braised Red Cabbage
- 4 slices nitrate-free bacon diced
- 1 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 large vidalia onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock or chicken
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red wine a good drinking wine is best
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes longer, until onions are translucent. Add cabbage and thyme and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage wilts.
- Pour stock, vinegar and wine over cabbage; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes more. Season with sea salt and pepper and enjoy.
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019