This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Dill pickles are my favorite addition to slaw and makes it incredibly flavorful and delicious. Using a small batch gourmet variety makes it even more amazing. I used a locally made pickle from Athens, GA called Phickles in this southern vinegar slaw.
I love supporting small, local companies. They use fresh dill, garlic and peppers in their brine and I could seriously eat the whole jar in one sitting....so good. I have a thing for pickles. I remember getting cups of pickle juice on ice at the skating rink when I was a kid. I clearly enjoyed overdosing on sodium, but I thought it tasted so good! That's kind of gross to me now, but some people swear by pickle juice as a post-workout electrolyte replacement. I think I'll just stick to my protein shake concoction and get my pickle fix in other ways.
Slaw is a southern staple.
You just can't have barbecue in the south without vinegar slaw and with grilling season heating up, I'll be making this a lot more often. I don't like my slaw drowning in mayonnaise, I want to taste the fresh, crunchy vegetables that make up this classic side dish.
A few of my other favorite slaw recipes are Paleo Coleslaw with Fresh Dill, Caribbean Lime Coleslaw that's also Paleo-friendly and this scrumptious Brussels Sprouts Slaw that got my husband to like Brussels Sprouts again. Enjoy~
Southern Vinegar Slaw
- 16 oz diced green cabbage
- 2 large carrots peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup dill pickles chopped
- ½ cup finely diced green peppers
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil mayo blend orPaleo mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp raw turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a shaker jar, add vinegars, mayo, oil, sugar, salt and pepper
- Shake until blended and sugar is dissolved
- Mix cabbage, carrots, pickles and green peppers together in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over mixture and toss to coat
- Cover and chill until ready to serve
- Herb-Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans - February 8, 2021
- 50 Easy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes - February 3, 2021
- Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie - February 1, 2021