This is my lightened –up, simplified version of southern style macaroni and cheese. What makes this macaroni and cheese southern style? It is thicker and richer than your basic creamy macaroni and cheese.
I adore the texture of this dish. I have to control my urge to eat more than one generous helping!! I love to assemble this casserole a day in advance, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake. It saves a lot of time when I have several dishes to prepare.
You can also add diced, low-sodium ham, prepare your favorite vegetable side and make it a meal. Jazz it up however you chose and make it your own.
- 8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni cook according to package directions (I prefer Dreamfields, it's a low-glycemic, low-carb pasta that actually tastes good!)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar shredded (such as Cabot's)
- 1 ½ cups regular 50% less fat Cabot's sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups 2% organic milk
- ½ stick smart balance butter melted
- Dash ground mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package, drain and cool. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients (except ¾ cup cheddar cheese for topping). Toss with cooked macaroni. Transfer to a baking dish sprayed with butter flavored non-stick spray. Top with remaining cheese.Bake for 30-40 minutes or until just cheese just starts to turn golden (do not brown).
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to thicken.