This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This is a family favorite recipe and hands-down, the best southern potato salad around! A special added ingredient gives it so much flavor!
My mother-in-law makes the BEST southern potato salad. Seriously. I've tried a LOT of potato salad recipes over the years. The special ingredient that she adds to make it "sing" is green olives. It's the perfect twist on traditional potato salad made with pickle relish.
My mother-in-law aka "MIL" is an amazing cook. I'm so grateful that she has shared many great recipes with me over the years. She turned me on to Cook's Illustrated magazine years ago, where I've gotten so many great cooking tips from reading their instructional guides. Her signature southern potato salad is the star of our Easter meal and always a huge hit at summer parties and potlucks.
This potato salad is delicious and absolutely worth the splurge. Go for Hellman's Real Mayonnaise or Duke's mayonnaise (Duke's is a southern thing...trust me...it's SO good) or an olive oil blend mayonnaise in this recipe. This potato salad will feed a large crowd, so feel free to half this recipe for a smaller group of people. It's ALWAYS better the second day, so make this a day ahead of serving.
Try this Roasted Fingerling, Green Bean & Feta Salad for another delicious twist on a picnic classic!
The Best Southern Potato Salad
16 side-dish servings
12 medium red skin potatoes
1 tbsp salt
8 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
3 large stalks celery, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
⅓ large sweet onion, chopped fine
1 (5.75 oz) jar pimento-stuffed olives, drained and chopped
2 cups real mayonnaise
2 tbsp French's yellow mustard
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 sprigs of fresh dill weed
In a large stockpot, add whole potatoes with 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover.
Boiling your potatoes whole prevents them from absorbing too much water, ensuring a firm potato for salads. Bring to a full boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again and set potatoes aside to cool.
Cube potatoes and peel (if preferred, I don't) and place them into a large bowl.
Drain olives, so the dish won't be too salty. Chop vegetables and place into a large bowl. Slice olives and add to vegetables.
Dice hard-cooked eggs and add to the vegetable mix.
Add potatoes and stir. Whisk mayonnaise and mustard together with 1 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper.
Add dressing to potato salad and stir well. Sprinkle with paprika, garnish with fresh dill (if desired), cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve the next day.
The Best Southern Potato Salad
- 12 medium red skin potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 8 hard-cooked eggs chopped
- 3 large stalks celery diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- ⅓ large sweet onion chopped fine
- 1 5.75 oz jar pimento stuffed olives, drained and chopped
- 2 cups mayo
- 2 tbsp French's yellow mustard
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sprigs Fresh dill for garnish
- ½ tsp Paprika for garnish
- In a large stockpot, add whole potatoes with 1 tbsp salt and enough water to cover.
- Boiling your potatoes whole prevents them from absorbing too much water, ensuring a firm potato for salads.
- Bring to a full boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, drain well and set aside to cool.
- Cube potatoes and peel (if preferred, I don't) and place into a large bowl.
- Drain olives.
- Chop vegetables and place into a large bowl.
- Chop olives and add to vegetables.
- Dice hard-cooked eggs and add to the vegetable mix.
- Add potatoes and stir.
- Whisk mayonnaise and mustard together with 1 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add dressing to potato salad and stir well.
- Sprinkle with paprika, garnish with dill, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve the next day.
- Herb-Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans - February 8, 2021
- 50 Easy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes - February 3, 2021
- Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie - February 1, 2021