Today’s Sunday Supper theme is all about mom’s favorite recipes. This zippy barbecue sauce recipe might seem like a strange thing to choose, but it was my favorite sauce growing up, one that I requested over and over to go on my favorite baby back ribs.
My mom was great at making a lot of things, especially baked goods. She could bake like nobody’s business. I’ve already featured her amazing Pumpkin Bread Recipe, Healthy Banana Bread (which she made often), Old Fashioned Date Nut Bread and her favorite Cottage Cheese Pancake recipe that was passed on from her mom (my Nana) before protein pancakes were even a trend. My mom was way ahead of the game with healthy eating.
We would frequent health food stores, so she could search for cool finds. My mom said that people would think she was weird for shopping in health food stores back then, even I thought it was a bit odd as a kid. I couldn’t find anything wrong with my beloved southern indulgences.
I remember eating a carob candy bar when I was young and thinking that it was the nastiest thing on earth. How dare they pass that off as chocolate! Now I know how smart my mom was to always be learning about homeopathic treatments and searching for healthier food alternatives. She always had our best interest at heart.
This homemade barbecue sauce is amazing slathered on ribs. I knew that when I smelled this sauce simmering on the stove, it was going to be a great meal. My mom called it “Zippy Barbecue Sauce” because it’s so fast and simple to make.
This sauce goes great with chicken, too and you can use it as a baste indoors, under the broiler, or while grilling the meat. You can find organic varieties of condensed tomato soup, if you prefer that option. Store any extra sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- 1/3 cup onion chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 10 3/4 oz can or carton of condensed tomato soup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- dash hot sauce
- In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Use as a baste for chicken or ribs.
- Store remaining sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator
Don’t miss out on these other mom favorites from my Sunday Supper friends below!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement