Caribbean Lime Healthy Coleslaw is a healthier flavorful slaw recipe that is super easy to make. This naturally gluten-free recipe is made with an olive oil-based mayonnaise, freshly squeezed lime juice, Dijon mustard, and spices. It makes the BEST topping for fish tacos and a wonderful summer side dish for grilled meats and seafood.
What To Serve With Caribbean Lime Slaw
My friend, Tracy, passed this recipe along to me after I raved about it when they had us over for dinner. She whipped up a batch of homemade mayonnaise for this slaw and it makes all the difference. The flavor combination is amazing with so many dishes, especially when paired with grilled seafood. It would go beautifully with grilled shrimp and this Garlic Lime Sea Bass! You can even throw the grilled Sea Bass in a warm corn tortilla, top it with this slaw and you’ve got delicious fish tacos. If you love Mahi Mahi, give these tacos a try!
I’ve adapted the original recipe to make it Paleo-friendly using my recipe for Paleo Mayonnaise and substituting coconut sugar for the raw cane sugar. You could also use a stevia-based sweetener for the slaw to replace the sugar. I love using Whole Earth sweetener in my recipes. It’s a blend of monk fruit and stevia and does not leave a funky aftertaste. It also tastes very close to regular sugar. If you don’t want to spend the time to whip-up mayonnaise from scratch, you can find healthier mayo alternatives in most grocery stores. I always check labels and look for mayo made with olive oil or avocado oil.
How To Make Caribbean Lime Healthy Coleslaw
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1/3 cup Paleo mayonnaise (or store-bought olive oil or avocado oil-based mayo)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar (or coconut sugar and Whole Earth sweetener for a sugar-free option)
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage (can use a combination of red and green)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Whisk together the first five ingredients until blended. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cilantro and dressing mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
How Far Ahead Can Coleslaw Be Made?
You can whip up this slaw the day before serving, it’s actually even better the second day after all of the flavors have had time to mingle and the cabbage texture has softened.
Caribbean Lime Coleslaw (Paleo, Gluten-Free}
- 1/3 cup homemade mayo *see above for my Paleo mayo recipe
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp raw cane sugar can use coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 6 cups shredded cabbage can use a combination of red and green cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Stir together first five ingredients until blended
- Combine cabbage, cilantro and mayo mixture
- Refrigerate until ready to serve