Italian pork & brown rice skillet is a gluten-free one-dish recipe made with ground pork, brown rice, tomatoes, squash, mushrooms, onions, herbs, and spices.
I've been really into skillet and one-pot meals lately. Maybe it's just laziness or just that it saves me time to throw everything into one pan and still represent all the food groups.
Either way, my family loves them! This Italian Ground Pork & Brown Rice Skillet was something that I threw together and was really pleased with how it turned out. Another one of our favorite skillet recipes is this Flavorful Skillet Pesto Chicken. It's pretty incredible over pasta, mashed cauliflower or rice.
You can also substitute lean ground beef or ground chicken in this recipe if you want to switch things up. I don't know about you, but I love only having one pan to clean-up after dinner!
Italian Pork & Brown Rice Skillet
(Makes 4-6 servings)
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
1 lb fresh ground pork
¾ cup chopped onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
16 oz carton chopped tomatoes
8oz can tomato sauce
2 small yellow squash, chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
How To Make This One-Dish Skillet Meal
Heat EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in a large saute pan over medium heat. Next, add garlic, onion and pork and cook until onion is soft and meat is no longer pink. Then add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they are soft and lightly golden brown.
Drain pork mixture in a colander, then add back to the pan with the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and add squash and rice. Cook for 7-10 minutes until squash is tender. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
This one-dish pork & brown rice skillet is good, nutritious eats!
Italian Pork and Brown Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lb fresh ground pork
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 16 oz carton chopped tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 small yellow squash chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and pork and cook until onion is soft and meat is no longer pink.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, until mushrooms are soft and lightly golden brown.
- Drain and add tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and add squash and rice.
- Cook for 7-10 minutes until squash is tender.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.