This broccoli salad is a new twist on an old favorite. This recipe is my absolute favorite broccoli salad and super easy to throw together! It’s best to make this salad and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow all of the flavors to mingle. You can keep the bacon room temperature if you are serving that same day and add it right before serving so that it keeps it’s crispy texture. I love the flavor combo of the sharp cheese, golden raisins, crunchy bacon and nuts and fresh broccoli. You get that great sweet/savory blend and a lot of different textures going on in this dish. It’s also a great way to get kids to eat their veggies.
I could seriously eat this broccoli salad for breakfast, lunch and dinner! It’s one of my all-time favorite side dish recipes and it’s made with bacon. Everything is better with bacon. If you have issues with lactose, use a brand of cheese that is lactose-free like Cabot. It’s one of the few cheeses that I tolerate well and it’s absolutely delicious.
- 6 slices bacon preferably natural, nitrate free bacon
- 1/2 cup light olive oil based mayonnaise or Vegenaise (in the original blue bottle)
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar such as Bragg organic
- 3 heads broccoli cut into florets
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- *optional: shredded cheddar cheese
Cook bacon in a skillet until crisp.
Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a small bowl mix together mayo, sugar and vinegar to make the dressing.
In a large bowl combine all other ingredients.
Toss with dressing and chill for an hour or more.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.