This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This easy healthy French toast recipe is made with egg whites and sprouted grain bread for a delicious protein-packed breakfast.
French toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods. If I had to make the perfect french toast recipe, it would be made with thick slices of fresh challah bread soaked in whole eggs with a touch of real maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon. However, that doesn’t always fit into my “fit food” lifestyle. I’ve come to love this healthy French toast version and save my beloved challah french toast for a special occasion.
This French toast recipe provides extra protein and good, whole grain, carbs for a filling and delicious breakfast meal. Top with your favorite berries for an added nutrition boost.
I buy frozen wild blueberries and thaw individual portions in the microwave. I love the taste and smaller size of the wild berries and you never have to worry about them going bad, like fresh produce. If you haven’t tried homemade blueberry compote before, it’s absolutely amazing as a substitute for syrup!
Healthy Sprouted Grain French Toast
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- 4 egg whites
- splash milk or almond milk
- dash of real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat a skillet over med-high heat
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon and milk with a fork or whisk until blended
- Place bread, one piece at a time, in egg white mixture
- Flip over and make sure all sides are coated and all of the egg white mixture is used
- Spray pan with cooking spray and cook until lightly golden on each side
- Serve with berries and sugar free or real maple syrup