French toast is one of my favorite breakfast foods. If I had to make the perfect french toast recipe, it would be made with thick slices of fresh challah bread soaked in whole eggs with a touch of real maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon. However, that doesn’t always fit into my “fit food” lifestyle. I’ve come to love this healthy French toast version and save my beloved challah french toast for a special occasion.
This healthy French toast provides extra protein and good, whole grain, carbs for a filling and delicious breakfast. Top with your favorite berries for an addition nutrition boost. I buy frozen wild blueberries and thaw individual portions in the microwave. I love the smaller size of the wild berries and you never have to worry about them going bad, like fresh produce.
Healthy French Toast
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread
- 4 egg whites
- splash milk or almond milk
- dash of real vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat a skillet over med-high heat
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon and milk with a fork or whisk until blended
- Place bread, one piece at a time, in egg white mixture
- Flip over and make sure all sides are coated and all of the egg white mixture is used
- Spray pan with cooking spray and cook until lightly golden on each side
- Serve with berries and sugar free or real maple syrup