This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A kid-friendly recipe for zucchini tots, a healthy variation of tater tots and cheese sticks. Recipe from the Natural Baby Food cookbook.
This month’s theme for The Recipe Redux is about creatively using our summer harvest in different shapes, ribbons, noodles or cuts. Zucchini Tots were the first thing that came to my mind, it utilizes one of my favorite summer vegetables, I just can’t get enough summer squash!
I love shredding zucchini for recipes, it’s incredibly versatile. Summer squash is a nice compliment to sweet or savory dishes, adding moisture to bread and extra nutrition to savory dishes, while lightening up the calories.
Zucchini Tots are the perfect substitute for tater tots and cheese sticks!
They are a tasty variation of both kid-friendly favorites.
This recipe for Zucchini Tots was developed by a fellow Recipe Redux member, Dr. Sonali Ruder. It’s featured in her new cookbook Natural Baby Food. I’m always happy to share recipes and cookbooks from my healthy foodie friends. Not to mention, Sonali is both a physician and chef! How cool is that?!!
Dr. Ruder combines her medical knowledge with her culinary knowledge to develop recipes that are both nutritious and pleasing to the palate. I’ve tasted quite a few and I’ve never been disappointed. 🙂
I have shared recipes from a few of Dr. Ruder’s other cookbooks in previous cookbook review posts. Check out my post for The Greek Yogurt Diet Cookbook and The Natural Pregnancy cookbook. I was honored to have a few of my blog recipes featured in Sonali’s cookbooks.
The Natural Pregnancy Cookbook is for everyone!
They are all fantastic resources for your kitchen, even if you don’t have kids and aren’t pregnant or planning to become pregnant. My kids are now teenagers and I’m definitely done being pregnant. However, I love ALL of the recipes in these cookbooks!
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot or yellow onion
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko I used Ian's organic brown rice breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- olive oil
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place grated zucchini in a cheesecloth or kitchen towel and wring out all excess water (there will be a lot!)
- Place zucchini in a bowl along with all other ingredients, except olive oil
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture and form into a round ball or oval shape
- Repeat until all mixture is used
- Arrange tots on the baking sheet and spray or brush the tops with olive oil
- Bake until puffed up and lightly golden, about 20 minutes flipping half way during cooking time.
- Serve with marinara for dipping
Don’t forget to order your own copy of Natural Baby Food on Amazon! You’ll feel great feeding your little one nutritious, whole food based recipes. New moms will appreciate the tips in this book for helping their children develop healthy habits from the start.
Not only do you get great recipes (over 150 of them!), you get important information for safe and effective ways to feed your child. Parenting is definitely not easy! This book will help make establishing good eating habits a breeze.
*This post contains an affiliate link.
Don’t miss out on these other creative summer recipes, like these Zucchini Tots, from my Recipe Redux friends below!
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019