A gluten free zucchini bread recipe that uses a blend of chia seed flour, protein powder and gluten free baking mix to create a tasty and moist quick bread.
I just started experimenting with chia seed flour in my baking. I love the nutritional stats for chia seeds and want to incorporate them more into my baked goods.
Since zucchini is in season and zucchini bread is one of my favorite quick bread recipes, I thought I'd play around with adapting my favorite recipe.
I found a great gluten-free blend that contains ground chia seeds, rose tapioca, millet and chestnut flour. It's delicious and yields great results in quick bread and muffin recipes.
I also use Pamela's gluten-free baking mix and an unflavored protein powder called Whole Nectar in this gluten free zucchini bread recipe. You can leave the protein powder out and just use the chia flour and baking mix for this bread, but I love adding a little more protein in my recipes.
This zucchini bread turns out very moist. I don't even miss the wheat flours or refined sugar in the classic zucchini bread recipe.
I'm a huge fan of quick breads. A few more of my favorite quick bread recipes are my mom's Best Ever Pumpkin Bread, Wheat-Free Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Wheat-Free and Dairy Free Banana Oat Bread, and this lightened-up Soft Old Fashioned Gingerbread around the holidays made with Greek yogurt.
How To Make Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread
Below (pictured) are the baking flours and protein powder that I used for this gluten free zucchini bread recipe. Feel free to substitute your own favorite blends, but I can't guarantee the same results. I have only tested this recipe with these particular products.
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- 1 ½ cups Pamela's gluten-free baking mix or any other GF baking mix with leavening ingredients
- ½ cup chia seed flour or make your own by grinding the seeds to a powder
- ¼ cup unflavored protein powder (can be whey or soy-based)
- 1 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- ½ cup agave nectar can also use honey or real maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup unrefined coconut oil melted and cooled
- 2 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- *optional- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine coconut sugar, agave nectar (or honey or maple syrup-your preference), applesauce, coconut oil (make sure it's room temperature), lemon juice and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, protein powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and blend until mixed. Fold in zucchini and nuts.
- Divide mixture into four greased mini loaf pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or two regular loaf pans for 55 minutes or until baked through.
If you try out this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @ameessavorydish. I love hearing from you when you try out recipes from the blog!