These Everything Zucchini Bran Muffins are adapted from a recipe from Savory Sweet Life. I used zucchini for half the carrots in this recipe. These muffins are delicious and healthy. You can also sprinkle a little raw sugar on top of the muffin before they go in the oven for a nice, sweet crunch.
A baker’s tip: if you cannot eat the muffins right away, wrap cooled muffins in plastic wrap and place in a freezer ziploc bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or pop into the microwave for a quick thaw. This way, you always have homemade muffins and breads on hand and homemade muffins make people smile.
Everything Zucchini Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour original recipe called for 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour-spelt flour provides more protein and is easier to digest than wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground flax seed golden has best flavor
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1 cup natural brown sugar or whey low brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda metal free
- 1 tsp baking powder metal free
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups shredded carrots I used 1 cup carrots and 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts pecans, almonds, or walnuts
- Preheat over 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flours, oat bran, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and apple sauce to the flour mixture stirring until well combined.
- Stir in shredded carrots/zucchini, raisins and chopped nuts.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins sprayed with non-stick spray until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before transferring muffins to a cooling rack.