These Everything Zucchini Bran Muffins are adapted from a recipe from Savory Sweet Life. I used zucchini for half the carrots in this recipe. These muffins are delicious and healthy. You can also sprinkle a little raw sugar on top of the muffin before they go in the oven for a nice, sweet crunch.
A baker’s tip: if you cannot eat the muffins right away, wrap cooled muffins in plastic wrap and place in a freezer ziploc bag. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or pop into the microwave for a quick thaw. This way, you always have homemade muffins and breads on hand and homemade muffins make people smile.
Everything Zucchini Bran Muffins
Everything Bran Muffins
Adapted from Sweet Savory Life
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (original recipe called for 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour-spelt flour provides more protein and is easier to digest than wheat flour)
- 3/4 cup ground flax seed (golden has best flavor)
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1 cup natural brown sugar or whey low brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda (metal free)
- 1 tsp baking powder (metal free)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups shredded carrots (I used 1 cup carrots and 1 cup shredded zucchini)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts)
- Preheat over 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flours, oat bran, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and apple sauce to the flour mixture stirring until well combined.
- Stir in shredded carrots/zucchini, raisins and chopped nuts.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins sprayed with non-stick spray until ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before transferring muffins to a cooling rack.
If you’re in a muffin mood, don’t miss these Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins because…well…Nutella… and healthy & moist Avocado Pumpkin Muffins!