A delicious zucchini bran muffins recipe made with shredded zucchini and carrots, unbleached flour, ground flaxseed, oat bran, raisins, and walnuts. This healthier muffin recipe is simple and incredibly delicious!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Unbleached all-purpose flour- you can also use spelt flour or wheat flour
- Ground golden flaxseed
- Oat bran
- Brown sugar- you can substitute Truvia brown sugar blend to cut calories and sugar
- Leavening ingredients: baking soda and baking powder
- Milk-whole milk recommended
- Eggs- lightly beaten
- Vanilla- go with a good quality vanilla extract
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Carrots-finely shredded
- Zucchini- shredded
How To Make Zucchini Bran Muffins
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, oat bran, ground flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
Step 3. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and applesauce to the flour mixture stirring until well combined. Stir in shredded carrots, zucchini, raisins, and chopped nuts.
Step 4. Scoop batter into muffin tins sprayed with non-stick cooking spray until ¾ full.
Step 5. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in tins for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
A baker's tip: Full-fat Greek yogurt is an excellent substitute for the applesauce in the recipe. I have made them both ways and love each variation. To cut sugar and calories, I've used the Truvia brown sugar blend as an alternative for brown sugar with great results. To make them fancy, you can also sprinkle a little raw sugar on top of the muffin before they go in the oven for a nice, sweet crunch.
Store muffins in an airtight container in a single layer on top of a layer of paper towels for up to four days. If you cannot eat the muffins right away, wrap cooled muffins in plastic wrap, and place them in a sealed freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or pop into the microwave for a quick thaw. This way, you always have homemade muffins and bread on hand.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes
Almond Flour Pumpkin Muffins (Paleo-Friendly)
If you love this bran zucchini muffin recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Update: This post was originally published in April 2011, and has been updated to improve the reader experience. This delicious recipe remains the same. 🙂
Everything Zucchini Bran Muffins
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour *can also use spelt or wheat flour
- ¾ cup ground golden flaxseed
- ¾ cup oat bran
- 1 cup brown sugar *can also use Truvia brown sugar blend to cut the sugar and calories
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk whole milk recommended
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts *can also use pecans or almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, oat bran, ground flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and apple sauce to the flour mixture stirring until well combined.
- Stir in shredded carrots, zucchini, raisins and chopped nuts.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins sprayed with non-stick spray until ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before transferring muffins to a cooling rack.
- Easy Orange Glazed Croissants Recipe with Crescent Rolls - November 28, 2023
- Easy Pancake Mix Cookies (Gluten-Free Option) - November 27, 2023
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes - November 20, 2023