This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is going nuts, so I wanted to make a muffin that’s full of autumn’s harvest with added nuts for healthy fat. I love baking and haven’t actually done very much of it, lately. My husband won’t touch anything with gluten and I have issues with overeating baked goods. I love them. Too much. As a matter of fact, I have a big problem with these Fall Harvest Muffins, I can’t stop eating them!
However, quick breads can actually be really nutritious and that’s exactly what I was going for in this recipe. You get a lot of nutrient density in these muffins and they are not too sweet and really moist. The moisture in these muffins comes from the pumpkin, apples, carrots and yogurt without added fat from oil or butter.
Enjoy these Fall Harvest Muffins along with some lean protein for breakfast or as a filling snack.
Fall Harvest Muffins #TheRecipeReDux
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or spelt flour
- 1 cup oat flour whole oats ground in food processor or heavy-duty blender
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 cup carrot grated
- 1 cup apple grated
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1.5 oz pitted dates chopped (about 6 whole dates)
- 1 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, apple pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugar, eggs, yogurt, egg whites, pumpkin and vanilla.
- Blend on low speed until combined, then bump up to medium speed and blend for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, while mixer is on low, until all is added and batter is blended.
- Fold carrots, apples, dates and nuts into batter and stir until mixed.
- Spray 16 muffin liners with a little cooking spray, then divide mixture evenly among cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.