This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Green bean roll-ups are an easy and tasty southern party appetizer made with marinated green beans and cream cheese.
It must sound strange…a green bean sandwich?! I remember the first time that I had these green bean roll-ups. They were served as an appetizer at my friend’s wedding reception back in college. I remember devouring an obscene amount of these roll-ups that night. Oh, how I would love my 20-year-old metabolism back…
Anyway, this combination tastes so good. Green beans have always been my favorite vegetable. I used organic canned green beans, light mayonnaise and pepperidge farm 40 calorie thin sliced bread to make this appetizer recipe a bit lighter and healthier.
These green bean roll-ups are easy, but give yourself three days to make them. You marinate the beans the first day, make the roll-ups the second day and slice and eat them the following day after the flavors have mingled overnight. These roll-ups are much better on thin-sliced white bread, even though I usually go for whole-grain bread. I have also done half wheat and half white and let my guests choose their favorite.
Green Bean Roll-up Sandwiches
2 (1lb) cans organic green beans, drained
1 cup Good Season’s zesty Italian dressing (prepared according to package directions)
1 loaf Pepperidge farm thin slice (40 calorie) white or wheat bread
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup Durkee’s Famous sandwich sauce
4 oz low-fat cream cheese
Drain green beans. Prepare dressing. Marinade beans in dressing overnight.
Drain the beans and discard the dressing. Combine mayo, Durkee’s sauce and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer. Trim crusts from bread and spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on bread. Place 3 green beans at the end of the bread and roll up tightly. Secure with a toothpick. After all the bread is used, cover roll-ups with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Remove toothpicks and cut each roll into 4 slices. Arrange on a platter and serve.
I bet you can’t eat just one:)
Green Bean Roll-ups
- 2 1lb cans organic green beans, drained
- 1 cup Good Season's zesty Italian dressing prepared according to package directions
- 1 loaf pepperidge farm thin slice 40 calorie white or wheat bread
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Durkee's Famous sandwich sauce
- 4 oz low-fat cream cheese
- Day 1.
- Drain green beans. Prepare dressing. Marinade beans in dressing overnight.
- Day 2.
- Drain the beans and discard the dressing. Combine mayo, Durkee's sauce and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer. Trim crusts from bread and spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture on bread. Place 3 green beans at the end of the bread and roll-up tightly. Secure with a toothpick. After all bread is used, cover roll-ups with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Day 3.
- Remove toothpicks and cut each roll into 4 slices. Arrange on a platter and serve.