My friend and neighbor, Paula, brought me this avocado chicken salad when I was recovering from surgery. It’s like eating a bowl of guacamole loaded with chicken. How can you get any better than that?!! I adore all of the flavors in this chicken salad. I was kind of wishing that I photographed it in a big taco salad shell loaded with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese and a little extra sour cream. Doesn’t that sound amazing?! I’m actually hungry as I type this, so I need to go eat something ASAP. This post isn’t helping.
I couldn’t wait to share this recipe with all of you. Paula doesn’t measure anything when she makes this, she just told me her ingredients and came up with my best possible guess. You can really play around with the flavors and adjust the amounts to fit your taste buds. You can also swap out the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt, or even do half and half, for an added nutrition boost. Plan a fun fiesta and enjoy!
Make sure that you start out with perfectly ripe avocados.
- 1 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 medium ripe avocados mashed
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion can do red or yellow
- juice of 1/2 lime
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place chicken, mashed garlic and 1 tsp salt in a large pot with 2 quarts of water
- Bring to a full boil, cover and turn off heat
- Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes until the center of the breast reaches 165 degrees F
- Drain chicken and set aside to cool
- Shred chicken into a large bowl and add all other ingredients, except onions and cilantro.
- When mixture is blended, stir in onions and cilantro.
- Serve over a bed of greens or in your favorite wrap.
This would make the perfect Cinco De Mayo lunch or dinner!