This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A low fat, low sugar recipe for delicious strawberry poke cake made with white cake mix, strawberry jello, and light cool whip. You can also use Truwhip for a cool whip substitute.
My mom called me last week and asked if I (or my husband) had plans to get a cake for my upcoming birthday. I told her that I insisted that my husband NOT get me a cake on my birthday. I’ve been working out hard lately and eating healthy, so I didn’t want to sabotage my efforts by eating a bunch of rich cake because I totally would…cake is my kryptonite.
He would definitely pick out something super rich and really fattening, what he would want, lol. I was really only HALF kidding because birthdays are sad without cake. She then mentioned that she was planning on bringing the ingredients for my favorite childhood strawberry poke cake when they come to visit. I know…I have an awesome mom. 🙂
Since this delicious low sugar strawberry poke cake is the lesser of two evils, I was totally on board. My favorite part of this strawberry poke cake is the frosting. I don’t like super sweet icings anyway, so this version suits my palate. My mom and my seven-year-old daughter baked me this delicious cake which made it extra special. “Happy Birthday to me!!”
How To Make A Strawberry Poke Cake
For The Cake:
1 box white cake mix (can use organic versions)
1 6 oz box strawberry jello (can go sugar-free here)
2 cups water heated for 1-2 minutes in the microwave
Bake cake as directed on the box. Cool ten minutes. Mix the jello with the water and let cool while the cake cools. Prick holes in the cake with a fork every two inches being careful not to go all the way to the bottom. Pour jello mixture over the cake. Refrigerate uncovered overnight, or at least two hours.
For The Frosting:
1 cup cold milk (we use 1 %)
3.4 oz box vanilla or white chocolate pudding (again, can go sugar-free here)
1 tsp vanilla extract
confectioners sugar to taste (we leave it out completely)
1 8 oz container cool whip (we used Truwhip- a better alternative found at Whole Foods)
Mix all ingredients together and spread on cake. Refrigerate until served. Store in the refrigerator. Enjoy~
My daughter’s beautifully decorated masterpiece. She loves being in the kitchen. I think she takes after her mom.
Low Sugar Strawberry Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 6 oz box strawberry jello can go sugar-free here
- 2 cups water heated for 2 minutes in the microwave
- 1 cup cold milk we use 1 %
- 3.4 oz box vanilla or white chocolate pudding again, can go sugar-free here
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- confectioners sugar to taste we leave it out completely
- 8 oz frozen non-dairy whipped topping thawed
- Combine the canola oil, egg whites, cake mix, and amount of water as directed on the box and mix until combined.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking pan sprayed with baking cooking spray and bake according to package directions (since this can vary slightly per mix)
- Cool ten minutes.
- Mix the jello with the water and let cool while the cake cools.
- Prick holes in the cake with a fork every two inches being careful not to go all the way to the bottom. Pour jello mixture over the cake.
- Refrigerate uncovered overnight, or at least two hours.
- Mix last 5 ingredients together and spread on cake. Refrigerate until served. Store in the refrigerator.