This Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet is an easy skillet chicken recipe made with boneless chicken breasts, plum tomatoes, shallots, and fresh chopped basil simmered in a flavorful white wine cream sauce. This Italian-inspired chicken recipe is low-carb, keto-diet friendly, gluten-free, and crazy delicious!!
You can't go wrong with this creamy and delicious skillet chicken recipe. Short on time? This easy chicken recipe is ready in under 30 minutes! You may be tempted to skip cutting up the chicken breast into bite-size pieces, but trust me when I say that it's worth the extra step. The chicken not only cooks fast and evenly this way, but each individual bite of chicken soaks up all that saucy goodness, so you end up with a more tender and flavorful dish.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast- cut up into bite-sized pieces, as seen in the step-by-step photo below
- Butter- you can also substitute with olive oil or do half butter and half olive oil, but the butter gives this dish amazing flavor so I highly recommend it here
- Roma tomatoes- Roma, or plum, tomatoes are great for using in recipes because they have a thicker fruit wall, fewer seeds, and dense flesh. They are easier to seed and chop and tend to hold their shape better in cooked dishes
- Shallots- I love shallots for their sweet and mild flavor. They cook quickly and lack the pungent bite of a regular onion, so you end up with a soft, mellow onion flavor. I use them a lot in skillet recipes and one-dish meals.
- Heavy cream- this creates an incredible creamy sauce, so don't try and go low-fat here or it will compromise the quality of the finished dish
- Fresh basil- I grow a large herb garden just for cooking so I always have fresh herbs on hand. Don't skip the fresh basil for dried, using fresh basil gives this dish a wonderful flavor
- Chicken stock base- I love organic Better Than Bouillon chicken stock base for adding flavor to chicken dishes and soups. If you can't find this product a cube of chicken bouillon will work, too.
- Dry white wine- Go with a good Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, or Pinot Gris for this recipe. I love using the single-serving mini box wines for cooking so I don't open a whole bottle for one recipe.
- salt and pepper- for seasoning the chicken and the sauce
- A block of good quality Parmesan cheese- for grating on top for garnish
How To Make Skillet Chicken with Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce
- Season boneless chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper (or adjust to taste) and sauté in 2 tablespoon butter over medium to medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the shallots and tomatoes for about 3 minutes, until tomatoes have softened.
- Add wine and chicken stock base and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream, remaining salt, and cooked chicken and simmer for 4-5 minutes until sauce is thickened. Stir in chopped basil before serving.
This dish is not only delicious but looks beautiful plated with a garnish of fresh basil! If you love a tomato-basil combo, don't miss this recipe for fresh Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce!
Make tomato basil chicken pasta! This chicken with creamy tomato basil sauce is perfect for topping your favorite pasta noodles. We love serving this creamy Italian chicken with low-carb egg fettuccine pasta or veggie pasta noodles. I made my own zucchini spaghetti noodles with a spiralized slicer in a flash, but there are many healthy and convenient options now in most grocery stores.
I love buying butternut squash veggie noodles already spiralized because it's such a pain in the arse to cut. That might be my least favorite vegetable to prepare for that very reason, but I LOVE butternut squash! Sometimes I'm willing to pay more to save a finger. The precut butternut squash is also great for butternut squash chili or roasted butternut squash.
As far as low-carb pasta goes, Carba-Nada egg fettuccine is a new one that I found at Publix and it was really tasty. The texture was pretty good, too, especially after you add butter or sauce. There's enough cream sauce in this dish for drizzling onto your pasta noodles for extra flavor.
Since fresh basil easily bruises and discolors, I have a great slicing tip for you. After the leaves have been rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel, stack them on top of each other and roll them up like a cigar. Using a sharp knife, slice the rolled-up basil crosswise into very thin strips.
A good quality Parmesan cheese is the perfect finishing touch for grating on top.
More Delicious Skillet Chicken Recipes
Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan (made in a cast-iron skillet)
If you love this creamy tomato chicken skillet recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Creamy Tomato Chicken Skillet
- 24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoon butter divided
- 3 small Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 3 oz shallots chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock base Don't leave this out, it adds great flavor! I used Better Than Bouillon brand
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4-5 large basil leaves sliced into thin strips
- Good quality Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cut boneless chicken into bite-size pieces and season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tablespoon of butter over medium to medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Sauté the chicken for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet and add the shallots and chopped tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes until the tomatoes are nice and tender.
- Stir in the white wine and chicken stock base and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the heavy cream, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and cooked chicken breast.
- Simmer on low for 4-5 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil.