I love recipes that warm you when the weather cools down, in other words, good old comfort food. I can't think of anything better on a crisp fall day than a big bowl of hearty slow cooker butternut squash chili.
I got this recipe from my friend, Donna, a few years ago. It's so good! Her recipe called for ground turkey, but my husband won't touch ground turkey with a ten-foot pole. He's super offended by this imposter of his beloved beef, so I don't dare make it or he won't eat it.
I've tried sneaking it into recipes in years past, but he's got a serious radar. I think he can just smell it cooking. If it's not bison, beef, or venison, then it better not be in his bowl.
Thankfully, overall he's really not picky. He's a man that likes what he likes and I can totally respect that. He eats my crazy creations and never complains, I just don't add ground turkey and all is good.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili Makes A Hearty One-Pot Meal
You get all of your macros in one delicious bowl. Butternut squash is full of good micronutrients, with one cup providing more potassium than a banana. It can be a challenge to peel and chop. Luckily, it's pretty easy to find chopped fresh butternut squash in most grocery stores. If you want to take this task on yourself, try this resource on cutting and peeling a butternut squash.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
- 2 lbs lean ground beef 92%
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs diced butternut squash fresh, not frozen
- 20 oz frozen vegetable seasoning blend (diced onion, celery, pepper, and parsley blend) 2 (10 oz) packages
- 28 oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes do not drain
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 30 oz tri-bean blend (black, pinto, and red kidney beans) 2 (15 oz) cans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can low-sodium northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can low-sodium cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add beef, frozen vegetable blend and garlic to the pan
- Cook until beef is cooked through, drain and pour mixture into a crock pot
- Add all other ingredients and stir
- Cook 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low, until butternut squash is tender.