This month for The Recipe Redux, we were challenged to re-do a recipe from the nearest cookbook, turning to a page containing any of the numbers from the year 2016 and give it a healthy makeover. I happened to have my Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook nearby, so I opened it up to page 16 and found a recipe for homestyle chili. I wanted to lighten it up with lean beef and a better bean choice with more fiber content, so I modified it to create this Lean Beef Black Bean Chili recipe. I went with black beans because, well..I love them and they have a whopping 15 grams of fiber per cup! Black beans are right behind lentils and split peas in their high fiber content. Nailing your daily fiber goals (I shoot for 25-30 grams) is easy with this nutrient-dense meal.
This chili is full of veggies, smart carbs and lean, muscle-building, protein. You can make a large pot of this chili for meal prep and have leftovers for another lunch or dinner!
I love different variations of chili and have a few more favorites on the blog that you should definitely check out!
Butternut Squash Chili, that’s perfect for a chilly fall evening
Fire Roasted Garlic Beef & Quinoa Chili that’s fast to whip up in a skillet
Easy Slow Cooker Chili, a good classic chili recipe
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili, for my non-meat eaters
White Bean Bison Chili, made in the slow cooker with white kidney beans
Wicked Good Pork Tenderloin Chili, a slow cooker recipe that’s loaded with flavor
As you can see, we make a lot of chili around here! What’s your favorite chili recipe?
- 1 lb lean ground beef 93% or less, cooked and drained of excess fat
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 10.75 oz can tomato puree
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 12 oz packages frozen 3 pepper and onion blend (green, yellow, red and onion)
- 1 tbsp Mexican seasoning I used the Goya all-purpose Adobo seasoning
- 1 tbsp green Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet and drain off excess fat
- Place beef in the bottom of a slow cooker
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and cook on low for 6 hours
- Garnish with cilantro and any other toppings you'd like.