This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This salsa chicken and rice is an easy healthy dinner that you can have on the table in under 20 minutes. It’s great for busy days when you’re on the run!
This Salsa Chicken and Rice recipe is about as unpretentious and simple as you get. I won’t win any culinary awards for this one, lol. What I love about this healthy dinner is that it’s simple, quick, has minimal ingredients and delicious. Not to mention, my kids love it. This is good to eliminate the “whine factor” at mealtime.
I can have this dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. It’s great for busy days when I haven’t planned ahead, which seems like a lot lately. I try to keep speedy meal ingredients in the house for days on the run. I love cooking rice in my rice cooker, but I keep the microwave whole grain brown ready rice in my pantry for fast meals. In 90 seconds, rice is done!
Salsa Chicken and Rice
Ingredients You’ll Need:
1 lb boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts, diced into bite-size pieces
2 16 oz containers mild salsa (such as Jack’s Special salsa-a favorite in our house)
*I use 1 mild and 1 medium or you can use homemade salsa
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp (or to taste) fajita seasoning blend
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
*Using quick-cooking rice for the microwave is a huge time-saver
How To Make Easy Salsa Chicken With Rice
Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until lightly browned. Turn heat down to medium and sprinkle chicken pieces with fajita seasoning. Stir. Add salsa and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through, turn down heat and simmer for 5 more minutes until salsa has thickened.
Prepare rice and top with chicken mixture. This dinner is nutritious and fast.
This easy chicken and rice is also a great make-ahead recipe for weekly meal prep!
Salsa Chicken and Rice
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite-size pieces
- 32 oz salsa mild or medium or a combo of both
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fajita seasoning blend
- 2 cups precooked rice white or whole grain rice
- 2 oz Mexican cheese blend shredded *optional
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and saute until lightly browned.
- Turn heat down to medium and sprinkle chicken pieces with fajita seasoning.
- Stir. Add salsa and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through, turn down heat and simmer for 5 more minutes until salsa has thickened.
- Top with shredded cheese and fresh cilantro, if desired.