This skillet salsa chicken is an easy healthy dinner that you can have on the table in under 20 minutes. It's great for busy days when you're on the run!
This Salsa Chicken and Rice recipe is about as unpretentious and simple as you get. I won't win any culinary awards for this one, lol, but my family gobbles it up! What I love about this dinner recipe is that it's simple, quick, has minimal ingredients, and tastes really delicious. You can dress it up with fresh herbs and toppings like sliced avocado, sliced olives, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
I can have this dinner on the table in under 20 minutes. It's great for busy days when I haven't planned ahead, which seems like a lot lately. I try to keep speedy meal ingredients in the house for days on the run. Just serve this over rice or cauliflower rice for a low-carb version and you're good to go. I love cooking rice in my rice cooker, but I keep the microwave whole grain brown ready rice in my pantry for fast meals. In 90 seconds, rice is done in a pinch.
How To Make Skillet Salsa Chicken
Ingredients You'll Need:
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
16 oz boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts, diced into bite-size pieces
1 large shallot, chopped
2 16 oz containers chunky salsa
*I typically use 1 mild and 1 medium
2 teaspoon (or to taste) fajita seasoning blend
*Optional fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until lightly browned. Add shallot and cook until soft (shallots cook quickly, so this usually only takes about a minute). Turn heat down to medium and sprinkle chicken pieces with fajita seasoning. Stir. Add salsa and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 more minutes until salsa has thickened.
Serve over cooked rice or cauliflower rice for a low-carb option. This dinner is nutritious and fast.
This easy chicken and rice is also a great make-ahead recipe for weekly meal prep!
Skillet Salsa Chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 32 oz salsa mild or medium or a combo of both
- 2 teaspoon fajita seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and saute until lightly browned.
- Add shallot and cook until soft.
- Turn heat down to medium and sprinkle chicken pieces with fajita seasoning.
- Stir. Add salsa and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through, turn down heat and simmer for 5 more minutes until salsa has thickened.
- Top with fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Leave a Reply