A nutritious recipe for beef sausage, kale & aged cheddar stuffed sweet potatoes made with lean beef, onion, fresh baby kale, and rich cheddar cheese. *This beef stuffed sweet potato recipe is a collaboration with Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner., on behalf of the Beef Checkoff, as part of my role as a compensated member of the 2014-2015 Beef Expert Bureau. However, all opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
This fast, healthy meal was inspired by a breakfast recipe that I saw on the Beef It's What's For Dinner website for Beef & Sausage Egg Muffin Cups. They sounded great, but I was really intrigued by the Beef Sausage recipe. I tested it out in a new variation for dinner and came up with these beef sausage, kale & aged cheddar stuffed sweet potatoes. Double the beef sausage recipe and you'll have plenty to make for breakfast, too. Trust me, you'll want extra.
How To Make Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Beef
Ingredients you'll need for the beef sausage:
- Lean ground beef (I go for 90-93% lean beef)
- Finely chopped fresh sage
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Crushed red pepper
Ingredients needed for the filling:
- Onion, finely chopped
- Baby kale, chopped and hard stems removed (can also sub with spinach)
- Aged sharp cheddar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sweet potatoes, rinsed and patted dry
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Rub sweet potato skins with a little olive oil and prick several times with a fork. Bake sweet potatoes for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size.
How Do You Know When A Sweet Potato Is Cooked?
The sweet potato is done with the skin is easily pierced with a knife. After 30 minutes, I start checking them every 5-10 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling.
How To Make Beef Sausage
In a large bowl, mix together the beef, garlic powder, onion powder, sage, salt, and crushed red pepper. Mix together with your hands until thoroughly combined. This is an easy sausage recipe using beef and only takes minutes to throw together.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add beef sausage mixture and chopped onion to the pan. Cook until beef is no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Drain fat from the pan and stir in the baby kale. Cook until kale is soft. Stir in cheese and cook until melted and smooth. Slice open the sweet potatoes and add ¼ of the filling into each potato. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately or store each potato in an airtight container in the refrigerator for later.
This stuffed sweet potato recipe is perfect for meal prep!
This sausage, cheese, and kale mixture is also fantastic with scrambled eggs and hot sauce for breakfast!
Beef Sausage, Kale & Aged Cheddar Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
For the beef sausage:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage or ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
For the rest:
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cups packed baby kale leaves, hard stems removed
- 1 cup aged sharp cheddar freshly shredded
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sweet potatoes washed, patted dry
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Rub sweet potato skins with a little olive oil and prick several times with a fork
- Bake sweet potatoes in preheat oven for 40-60 min, depending on the size
- While potatoes are baking, prepare the sausage mixture
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, sage, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and crushed pepper
- Mix with hands until thoroughly combined
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add beef mixture and chopped onion to the pan
- Cook until beef is no longer pink and onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes
- Drain any fat from the pan and stir in baby kale
- Cook until kale is soft and wilted
- Stir in aged cheddar and cook until melted and smooth
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and spoon into cooked sweet potatoes