This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
I love adding protein powders, Greek yogurt and/ or cottage cheese to baked goods to boost the nutrition content of the recipe. Protein powders can be super tricky, because if you don’t get the fruits and/or fats right, you end up with a rubbery toy to toss to the dog. Whey protein powder can suck the moisture right out of a muffin or donut, so make sure that you add pureed fruit and a little healthy fat (like olive, grapeseed or coconut oil) to increase the moisture content of whatever you are making. Also, plant-based protein powder and casein work much better in baked goods than whey isolate. These Gluten Free Strawberry Protein Donuts have pureed fresh strawberries and olive oil to moisten them up and the strawberries add great flavor.
Not all protein powders are created equal, either in taste or texture. I had good results with the Earth Fed Muscle strawberry protein powder (it’s a whey concentrate) and I’ve also had good luck baking with the Quest protein powders and Optimum Nutrition casein powder. Also, I specify the Pamela’s baking mix for these donuts, not because I’m being paid to endorse the product (because I’m not), but because it yields amazing gluten-free baked goods. I also used it in this heavenly recipe for Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes and these savory Gluten Free Sausage Cheddar Muffins.
You can also swap mascarpone cheese for the cream cheese in the “frosting”. Honestly, I like to slice these donuts in half, toast them, spread with a tsp of Earth Balance buttery spread and drizzle with sugar-free maple syrup or I’ll top them with a tablespoon of Sarabeth’s strawberry peach jam. So divine.
These strawberry protein donuts will help you add more lean muscle-building protein to your morning meal.
These strawberry protein donuts turn out fluffy and flavorful.
Healthier Fresh Strawberry Protein DonutsPrint Pin Rate
- 3/4 cup Pamela's gluten-free baking mix
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp Earth Fed Muscle strawberry protein powder or sub with a plant-based powder or casein protein powder of your choice
- For the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature (can use low-fat)
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 4 tbsp strawberry protein powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend all donut ingredients together until smooth.
- Spray a 6 donut pan with olive oil spray.
- Pour batter, evenly, in the 6 sections of the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Blend cream cheese, strawberries and protein powder in a mixer, with a whisk attachment, until smooth and spreadable.
- After donuts have cooled, spread with a little bit of protein-packed frosting and enjoy.
Have you experimented with baking with protein powder? What is your favorite recipe to make with it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.