This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A tasty recipe for Healthier Baked Maple Donuts made with unbleached flour, yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, applesauce, and maple sugar.
I'm not much of a donut eater ( I know...gasp), but my kids certainly love them. My daughter gets so excited when we drive by Krispy Kreme and the hot donut sign is on. I cringe knowing how much saturated fat and sugar is in those fried balls of dough, but I still allow them a treat, on occasion.
I believe in moderation and enjoying a decadent splurge every now and then. It makes for a healthy relationship with food. I wanted to make a healthier version for a breakfast treat that would still taste delicious, so I created these healthier baked maple donuts adapted from a favorite Ina Garten recipe.
How To Make Healthier Baked Maple Donuts
I replaced most of the fat in the recipe with Siggi's skyr yogurt, applesauce, and extra virgin olive oil and baked them instead of the traditional frying method. For the glaze, I went for a drizzle instead of drowning them in icing. It's made with natural maple sugar, which has a rich maple flavor, so a little goes a long way.
The glaze adds the perfect amount of sweetness. These healthier baked maple donuts are a guilt-free indulgence. I would know because I've already eaten two. I should probably save some for the kids.
My friends at Siggi's Dairy have offered to give away a month's supply of their delicious skyr yogurt to one of my readers! Be sure and leave a comment on how you would enjoy your Siggi's skyr yogurt, whether it's topped with your favorite fruit, nuts, seeds, or parfait ingredients or in a recipe creation to replace some of the unhealthy fats.
Give me your best creative ideas using Siggi's Icelandic skyr yogurt and I may reshare some favorites or even create them for the blog!
You can tag me on Instagram and Twitter or in the comment section below. I can't wait to see what you make!
Healthier Baked Maple Donuts
- For the donuts:
- 1 cup unbleached white whole wheat flour I use King Arthur brand
- ¼ cup maple sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup vanilla skyr yogurt or vanilla Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup applesauce unsweetened
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For the glaze:
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- ⅛ tsp bourbon vanilla powder
- 1 tsp half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a donut pan and sprinkle with extra flour to evenly coat all sides of the donut molds.
- Stir all dry ingredients for the donuts together with a whisk
- In a separate bowl, whisk all of the wet ingredients together until well mixed
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined, using a spatula to scrape down the sides
- Pour batter, evenly, into the 6 molds
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow donuts to cool for 5 minutes in the pan
- Place donuts on a cooling rack to continue to cool while you make the glaze
- For the glaze:
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl for a few seconds
- Stir in maple sugar and allow to sit until sugar melts
- Stir in vanilla powder and half and half and microwave for 10 more seconds until smooth and pourable
- Drizzle glaze over the donuts and serve