This is one of the great recipes that I got from the “Healthy in a Hurry, Part 1” technique class at Williams Sonoma this past weekend. The focus was on Superfoods and how to incorporate them into your diet through delicious and speedy recipes.
They used the Vitamix to make all of the recipes except this this tasty and colorful quinoa salad. This salad is jam packed full of nutrients! Did you know that quinoa is a complete source of protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids?? Some people just can’t get used to the taste, but it you learn to prepare it properly, you will find it delicious.
Instead of using all water to cook the quinoa, I used half chicken or beef stock and half water. This gives it a good flavor. The original recipe also calls for dried cherries instead of cranberries, so you can adjust according to your preferences. Other good substitutions to this salad would be do use toasted pine nuts or walnuts instead of pistachios. Pistachios are my favorite nut, so I love them in this recipe! Serve alongside grilled tuna or chicken and you have a delicious meal. Enjoy~
Quinoa Salad with Dried Cranberries and Pistachios
*Adapted from Williams Sonoma recipes
1 cup dry quinoa
1 cups water plus 1 cup of broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
1 small head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under cold water. In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water and stock to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and add all other ingredients. Toss to mix and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or room temperature. Store in the refrigerator.
I love the colors in this salad.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cups water plus 1 cup of broth chicken, beef or vegetable
- 1 small head radicchio cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pistachios chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under cold water.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water and stock to a boil.
- Add quinoa and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and add all other ingredients.
- Toss to mix and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator.