Meal Prep is a life-saver for me during the week. It also helps me nail my lean eating goals, so I’ll have no problem getting into beast-mode during my workouts. 😉 I put together a few meal prep ideas using flank steak that we batch cook on the weekend. It gives a nice protein boost to your recipes and it reheats beautifully without getting tough. We grill it to medium-rare. When reheated on a low heat setting, it comes out perfectly cooked for the next meal.
[bctt tweet=”Meal prep is a great way to nail your healthy eating goals. ” username=”@AmeeLivingston”]
Why do I love flank steak? Well, for starters, it’s full of muscle-building protein and minerals, like iron and zinc. It’s also a versatile lean cut of beef. Other lean cuts that I use often are top sirloin and strip steak. I also love a good filet mignon when I want to splurge.
This egg scramble is one of my go-to breakfast meals. I switch up the extra protein, but steak gives it loads of flavor and adds a nice contrast to the texture of the soft eggs. Try adding ghost pepper salt to your scrambled eggs. It’s so good, I put that s@*t on everything!
Beef, Spinach and Egg Breakfast Scramble
If you want to jazz it up, top it with your favorite salsa and a little hot sauce. I’m, personally, addicted to green Tabasco and Cholula sauce!
Flank Steak Scramble
- 1.5-3 oz cooked flank steak
- 1 whole egg
- 2-3 egg whites
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Avocado or olive oil spray
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat
- Spray skillet with olive oil or avocado oil spray
- Add steak and cook until warm
- Remove steak from pan, add spinach and cook until just wilted
- Beat egg whites with whole egg and add to pan
- Cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through
- Pour into a bowl and top with steak and salsa
- Season with salt and pepper
For lunch, this fajita-style salad hits the spot. It’s loaded with nutrient-dense carbs from the peppers, lettuce and salsa, lean protein from the beef and healthy fat from the fresh avocado.
Flank Steak Fajita Salad
Flank Steak Fajita Salad
- 3 oz cooked flank steak
- 1 cup sliced green and yellow peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 fresh avocado, sliced
- 1 cup butter lettuce
- Heat a skillet on medium heat
- Spray with olive oil or avocado spray
- Cook steak until just warm and set aside
- Saute sliced peppers and onions until just soft
- Add butter lettuce to the bottom of a bowl
- Top with peppers and onions, steak and sliced avocado
- Serve with salsa, if desired
Batch cooked steak also goes great with roasted vegetables for fast dinners that can be reheated and ready in under 5 minutes.
Sliced Flank Steak with Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Roasted Potatoes
I used an extra large sheet pan and roasted the red potatoes and brussels sprouts together on one pan. Not only did it make clean-up easier, but it was super easy to prep. Slice the potatoes into chunks about the same size as the brussels sprouts, you’ll want to slice those in half. Toss them separately in a few tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and spread out onto the pan. Drizzle the brussels sprouts with a good quality balsamic vinegar and season both potatoes and sprouts with kosher salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees F for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally to cook evenly.
Now you’ve got several days worth of healthy meals ready to go and less time spent in the kitchen during the week!
Meal prep=lean eating success!
Do you meal prep? What are your favorite things to prepare? Share your favorites in the comments below.
*I am a compensated member of the 2016 Beef Expert Bureau. I love and enjoy lean beef as part of my fit and active lifestyle. As always, all opinions are my own.