This simple and easy meal prep Superfood Salad with Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette is just one of many great recipes from Toby Amidor's new cookbook Smart Meal Prep For Beginners that is due for release July 31, 2018.
*photo credit: Elysa Weitala
Healthy Eating Starts with Planning Ahead
Toby Amidor MS, RD, CDN is the talented cook, recipe developer, and nutrition expert over at Toby Amidor Nutrition. Toby and I share a similar goal to help make healthy eating effortless for the amateur home cook. I love her approachable style and her recipes always deliver on taste, ease of preparation, and nutrient quality. If I ever have a diet-related question, Toby is one of my favorite go-to resources for all things nutrition.
I met Toby working with NCBA aka Beef. It's What's For Dinner. We are both members of the Beef Expert Bureau, so I've had the privilege to get to know Toby pretty well over the last several years. I've reviewed two more of her cookbooks, The Greek Yogurt Kitchen and her other meal prep cookbook, The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook where I shared her amazing Beef Stir Fry with Asian Peanut Sauce. I highly recommend this book, as well, for the time-crunched cook looking to eat healthy and plan ahead.
Here's an excerpt from the Smart Meal Prep For Beginners cookbook about this wonderful superfood salad recipe:
"Salads are so simple to prep, and in them, you can include any variety of superfoods that provide vitamins, minerals, and natural plant chemicals your body needs to stay healthy. This one combines antioxidant-filled spinach with blueberries, which contain anthocyanins, powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants that are beneficial for heart and eye health. The eggs provide protein and the antioxidant lutein, which keeps the heart, eyes, and skin healthy."
Superfood Salad with Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette makes healthy eating delicious and easy!
I don't know about you, but I'm getting really hungry!
Here are a few more tasty recipes that you'll find in this Smart Meal Prep For Beginners cookbook:
Turkey Meatballs with Carrots Over Zucchini Noodles
Lighter Waldorf Salad with Pears
Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken
Rosemary-Honey Mustard Pork Loin with Lemon-Dill Carrots
Grilled Chicken with Carrot-Cabbage Slaw
Baked Almond Cherry Bars
...and so many more!! If you are pressed for time, like me, you need this helpful cookbook in your life! Order your own copy of Smart Meal Prep For Beginners and because I love you all, I'm giving away one free copy to my readers on Instagram! Make sure that you are following me on Instagram @ameessavorydish to enter! *Update- this giveaway has now ended.
*photo credit: Elysa Weitala
Superfood Salad with Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- For the Salad:
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon lemon-balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 cucumber cut into ½-inch coins, then quartered
- 1 carrot peeled and cut into ½-inch coins, then quartered
- ¼ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 ½ cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
For the Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Hard-boil the eggs by placing them in a medium pot and covering them with water. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Cook the eggs for 3 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain the water and place the eggs in a bowl of ice water until completely cool, about 10 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice lengthwise.
- 2. Into each of 2 widemouthed glass mason jars, layer in the following order: 2 tablespoons of Lemon-Balsamic Vinaigrette at the bottom followed by half of the cucumber, carrot, eggs, red onion, blueberries, and baby spinach, and 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds. If you don’t have mason jars, you can use widemouthed glass or plastic containers, in which case add the ingredients in any order that you like but store the dressing separately.
- Storage: Place airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture, whisking to incorporate.
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Leave a Reply