This is, hands-down, the best homemade flank steak marinade made with olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, and seasonings. Makes just under 2 cups, enough for one large flank steak.
My mother-in-law gave us this marinade years ago that she used for London Broil and I swear it's the best flank steak marinade that I've ever tried! I've experimented with so many variations and always seem to come back to this simple recipe. *I am a compensated member of the 2016 Beef Expert Bureau. I love and enjoy lean beef as part of my fit and active lifestyle. As always, all opinions are my own.
What Is MSG and Is It Bad For You?
The original recipe contains ½ teaspoon Accent seasoning, which I used to avoid since it contains MSG. However, after learning from a few of my friends that are registered dietitians that MSG is not so bad after all, I've started including it again in some of my recipes. There is a great article in Men's Health from my friend, Chris Mohr Ph.D., RD, that explains why MSG doesn't deserve the bad rap that it's been given. It's a wonderful concentrated form of Umami that gives food incredible flavor.
Of course, always decide for yourself if it's an ingredient that you want to include. It's always your body, your diet, and your choice, of course. I was on the anti-MSG train for quite some time. If you chose to avoid it, the marinade is still great without it. You can always substitute with an all-purpose seasoning blend. I've used Mrs. Dash and FlavorGod's "Everything" seasoning with good results.
We eat a lot of flank steak in this house. It's a flavorful lean cut that comes out juicy and tender after marinating. It's also extremely versatile. Stay tuned for my next post later in the week on how you can batch cook steak for meal prep and enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Batch cooking is one of my eating lean strategies and it also saves a lot of time in the kitchen. That leaves more time for weightlifting and hanging out with my family. 🙂
*A 3oz portion of beef contains about 25 g of quality protein!
How To Make A Killer Steak Marinade
Ingredients You'll Need:
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (you can also use canola)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (always go with fresh-squeezed for best flavor!)
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 8-10 drops Tabasco seasoning (according to your taste preference)
- ½ teaspoon Accent seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl and pour it into a large sealable bag. Add your steak and marinate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
Note: This post has been updated to improve the reader experience from the original post published in September 2016. The tasty recipe remains the same.
The Best Flank Steak Marinade
- 2 lb flank steak
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5-6 cloves garlic pressed
- 8-10 drops Tabasco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Accent seasoning *optional, but adds great flavor! Can also sub with another all-purpose seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and pour into a large sealable plastic bag.
- Add steak to bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 24 hours
- Heat grill to medium-high and grill to desired doneness (about 6 min per side for rare or 145 degrees F for med-rare and 160 degrees F for medium if using a meat thermometer)
- Allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Slice against the grain and portion into 3 oz servings (about the size of a computer mouse)
- Consume cooked beef within 3-4 days