This is, hands-down, the best damn steak marinade made with olive oil, lime juice, Tamari, garlic, and seasonings. Makes just under 2 cups of marinade, enough for one large Flank Steak or London Broil. This steak marinade is both gluten-free and keto diet friendly.
My mother-in-law gave us this marinade years ago that she used for London Broil and I swear it's the best damn steak marinade that I've ever tried! I've experimented with so many variations and always seem to come back to this deliciously simple recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's quick and easy to throw together
- This gluten-free steak marinade is also a great keto steak marinade
- Works great with all steak cuts
- Creates the most flavorful, juicy, meat with minimal effort
Ingredients You'll Need
- Olive oil- I use extra virgin olive oil
- Tamari- for a gluten-free marinade use Tamari for an umami booster (for a non-GF version go with regular soy sauce)
- Lime juice- always go with fresh-squeezed for the best flavor!
- Fresh garlic- garlic is essential for a great steak marinade!
- Tabasco seasoning- adjust according to your taste preference
- Accent seasoning- adds so much flavor to the marinade and elevates the umami in the meat
- Salt and pepper- to taste
How To Make The Best Damn Steak Marinade
Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a large bowl and pour it into a large sealable bag. Add your steak and marinate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight. Grill and enjoy.
The original recipe contains ½ teaspoon Accent seasoning, which I used to avoid since it contains MSG. However, after learning from a few of my friends that are registered dietitians that MSG is not so bad after all, I've started including it again in some of my recipes. There is a great article in Men's Health from my friend, Chris Mohr Ph.D., RD, that explains why MSG doesn't deserve the bad rap that it's been given. It's a wonderful concentrated form of Umami that gives food incredible flavor.
Of course, always decide for yourself if it's an ingredient that you want to include. I was on the anti-MSG train for quite some time. If you chose to avoid it, the marinade is still great without it. You can always substitute with an all-purpose seasoning blend. I've used Mrs. Dash and FlavorGod's "Everything" seasoning with good results.
We eat a lot of flank steak in this house. It's a flavorful lean cut that comes out juicy and tender after marinating. It's also extremely versatile. Stay tuned for my next post later in the week on how you can batch cook steak for meal prep and enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Batch cooking is one of my eating lean strategies and it also saves a lot of time in the kitchen. That leaves more time for weightlifting and hanging out with my family. 🙂
If you love this recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Stay posted on my latest cooking adventures through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
The Best Damn Steak Marinade
- 2 lbs steak your cut of choice. I love this with flank
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Tamari can also use soy sauce (if gluten isn't a concern)
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5-6 cloves garlic pressed
- 8-10 drops Tabasco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Accent seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and pour into a large sealable plastic bag.
- Add steak to bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 24 hours
- Heat grill to medium-high and grill to desired doneness (about 6 min per side for rare or 145 degrees F for med-rare and 160 degrees F for medium if using a meat thermometer)
- Allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Slice against the grain and portion into 3 oz servings (about the size of a computer mouse)
- Consume cooked beef within 3-4 days
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
- Spicy Tuna Salad - May 29, 2023
- Birthday Cake Protein Bombs - May 22, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Leave a Reply