My mother-in-law gave us this marinade years ago that she used for London Broil and I swear it’s the best flank steak marinade, too! I’ve experimented with so many variations and always seem to come back to this simple recipe. The original recipe contains 1/2 tsp Accent seasoning, but I leave that out since it contains MSG. It’s still great without it, but you can substitute with an all-purpose seasoning blend in it’s place. I’ve used Mrs. Dash and FlavorGod’s “Everything” seasoning with good results.
We eat a lot of flank steak because it’s a tasty lean cut and comes out nice and tender after marinating. It’s also extremely versatile. Stay tuned for my next post later in the week on how you can batch cook steak for meal prep and enjoy it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Batch cooking is one of my eating lean strategies and it also saves a lot of time in the kitchen. That leaves more time for weightlifting and hanging out with my family. 🙂
*A 3oz portion of beef contains about 25 g of quality protein!
The Best Flank Steak Marinade
- 2 lb flank steak
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 5-6 cloves garlic pressed
- 8-10 drops Tabasco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and pour into a large sealable plastic bag.
- Add steak to bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or up to 24 hours
- Heat grill to medium-high and grill to desired doneness (about 6 min per side for rare or 145 degrees F for med-rare and 160 degrees F for medium if using a meat thermometer)
- Allow steaks to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Slice against the grain and portion into 3 oz servings (about the size of a computer mouse)
- Consume cooked beef within 3-4 days