Our friends hosted a Cuban dinner party this past weekend. It was really fun to experiment with a couple of new recipes. Everyone was assigned a dish to bring for the meal and I chose this light and summery avocado and pineapple salad and a baked flan for dessert.
While searching for authentic Cuban recipes, this little gem popped up from Three Guys From Miami. I mean, how could I go wrong with a Saveur recommended site and three Cuban chefs?! This simple salad is a fantastic sweet/savory combo and perfect for a summer afternoon. Make it even more amazing by juicing fresh oranges for the dressing. Salad perfection.
Avocado & Pineapple Salad
A light, sweet and savory salad perfect for a summer meal
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 large avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium sweet red onion, sliced thin
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, and sugar in a blender until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to this mixture to taste.
- Lightly toss the lettuce, pineapple, and red onion together.
- Pour on the oil and vinegar mixture until everything is well coated.
- Adjust the amount used to your own preference, more or less.
- Garnish individual salads with several avocado slices lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime juice.