These Homemade Sloppy Joes make a great weeknight meal. They are fast and simple to prepare and kid-friendly. I don't know about you, but this was one of my childhood favorite dinners. There's no need to buy those spice packets when it's this easy to whip them up from scratch!
How To Make Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes
*Adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine
- Lean ground beef (90% or less)
- Finely chopped onion
- Finely chopped celery
- Minced garlic
- Tomato sauce
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- Yellow mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: Hamburger buns
In a large skillet, combine ground beef, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and crumbly.
Drain beef and return to the skillet. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, mustard, pepper, and salt.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Serve with hamburger buns, they are over-the-top delicious in a brioche bun or on King's Hawaiian Rolls, or go for a low-carb option by serving it in a lettuce wrap.
These Easy Sloppy Joes are the bomb! I love using this recipe for this cute Halloween-themed recipe for Monster Joes. It's a winner with my kiddos!
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef 90% or less
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 8oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, combine ground beef, onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and crumbly.
- Drain beef and return to the skillet.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, mustard, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with hamburger buns or in a lettuce wrap.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Sounds wonderful. I am not especially fond of bread..but wrapping this in a lettuce leaf makes it sound irresistible!!
Thanks Marsha, that's how I love to eat it, too!