This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
These Homemade Sloppy Joes make a great weeknight meal. They are fast and simple to prepare and kid-friendly. I don’t know about you, but this was one of my childhood favorite dinners. There’s no need to buy those spice packets when it’s this easy to whip them up from scratch!
How To Make Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes
*Adapted from Cooking with Paula Deen magazine
2 lbs lean ground beef (90% or less)
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 tbsp minced garlic
3 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp coconut sugar (can sub brown sugar)
2 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
In a large skillet, combine ground beef, onion, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and crumbly.
Drain beef and return to the skillet. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, mustard, pepper, and salt.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve with hamburger buns, they are over-the-top delicious in a brioche bun or on King’s Hawaiian Rolls, or go for a low-carb option by serving it in a lettuce wrap.
These Easy Sloppy Joes are the bomb! I love using this recipe for this cute Halloween-themed recipe for Monster Joes. It’s a winner with my kiddos!
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef 90% or less
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 8oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, combine ground beef, onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until beef is browned and crumbly.
- Drain beef and return to the skillet.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, mustard, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with hamburger buns or in a lettuce wrap.