Green Bean Casserole is a classic favorite on many holiday menus. I’ve loved this dish since I was a kid. I’ve always devoured green beans. They were my favorite green veggie when I was growing up. Even if you weren’t a die-hard fan of green beans, eating them in a casserole with a flavorful creamy filling and crunchy fried onions could satisfy a pickier palate. I wanted to do a recipe makeover of this traditional side dish, eliminating the canned soups and the fried onions to make it a bit healthier, without compromising flavor. I’ve even added a few extra ingredients that I believe make this healthier homemade green bean casserole over-the-top delicious!
You won’t miss the other ingredients, you get a great contrast in textures with the canned beans, crunchy water chesnuts and creamy filling. I prefer the use of Del Monte canned beans in this casserole for the best results, not to mention, they are really easy and convenient.
The Del Monte Blue Lake Whole Green Beans work perfectly in this recipe.
If you’ve never tried the Bragg Aminos, they are a fabulous substitute for soy sauce and work great for gluten-free eaters. You can also buy the Coconut Aminos, which are equally delicious.
Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic until onions are translucent and mushrooms are just turning golden.
Once the other ingredients are added, the creamy mixture should thicken slightly after cooking for several minutes. See full recipe below.
- 4 (14.5oz) cans Del Monte Blue Lake Whole Green Beans, drained
- 8 oz package sliced mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Bragg Organic Aminos (or coconut aminos-great soy sauce substitute)
- 1 (8 oz) block regular cream cheese, brought to room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, diced
- ½ cup blanched, slivered almonds
- 1½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated from block
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Kerrygold butter
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½- 1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp unbleached all purpose flour *Gluten-free option: just sub all-purposed GF flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, milk, aminos and chicken broth
- Start on low speed and gradually increase to medium speed until well combined
- Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat
- Add chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic
- Cook until onions are soft and translucent, stirring frequently
- Stir in water chestnuts, cream cheese mixture, 2 tbsp flour, salt and pepper and 1 cup of the shredded cheese
- Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes until mixture is bubbly and thickened
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Pour green beans into baking dish, distributing evenly in pan
- Pour creamy cheese mixture on top of beans and stir to blend evenly in dish
- Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese (you can add a little more if you love cheese) and slivered almonds
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes
Head on over to PopSugar.com for great tips on how to simplify your holiday entertaining!
*This post was sponsored by Del Monte through their partnership with POPSUGAR Select. While I was compensated to write a post about Del Monte, all opinions are my own.