I don’t do a lot of baking anymore, mainly because homemade baked goods are my weakness and if they’re really tasty I can’t stop eating them. Occasionally when a craving strikes for a really moist and tasty muffin, I’ll play around with adding various healthy ingredients. I’ve been wanting to try mashed avocado in a quick bread recipe to see how it would turn out. I came across this avocado pumpkin muffin recipe on a bag of avocados and just switched it up a bit to my taste buds. They turned out crazy good, even the kids loved them! I love a really moist muffin and these didn’t disappoint! There isn’t the slightest hint of avocado in them, you get more of the pumpkin and cinnamon flavors and the perfect amount of sweetness from the mashed banana and brown sugar.
I always use an unbleached flour in my baking and you can easily make these muffins gluten free by swapping out an all-purpose gluten free flour blend or even whole grain by using a whole grain flour. You’ll get a more nutty flavor and a little extra fiber with the whole grain swap.
Avocado Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large whole banana, mashed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tin with 12 liners
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine avocado, banana, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and sugar
- Beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- While mixer is running on low, slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture, stopping to scrap down the sides
- Combine until just mixed, then stir in pecans.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter evenly among cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Store in an airtight container.
by Amee Livingston
Have you baked with avocado before? If not, definitely give it a go!
Baked goods are always best when fresh, but you can freeze these avocado banana muffins and they reheat beautifully.
Just wrap in plastic wrap once they’ve completely cooled and store in an airtight container. To reheat, thaw in the microwave on a low setting until just thawed. I like to slice mine in half and toast in the toaster and top with a little Earth balance butter.