This Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich showcases a fried egg, tender & tasty shaved ham, sharp cheddar cheese, and sliced avocado on a toasted gluten-free ciabatta roll. Weighing in at 32 grams of protein per sammie, you won’t have any trouble hitting those AM macros with this one!
If you wake up ready to feast but are not thrilled about waking up earlier to prepare said feast, may I interest you in this glorious breakfast sandwich? Thought so! It’s more cost-effective and tastes better than any sandwich a drive-thru, Jimmy Dean, or Starbucks offers. Not to mention, this hefty handheld is gluten-free and packed with protein.
This quick and easy gluten-free breakfast recipe delivers slices of succulent ham, gooey fried egg enriched with extra egg whites, sharp cheddar cheese, and creamy avocado on a gluten-free roll, toast, or an English muffin! If you’re not sure which one to use, don’t worry. I added a list of the best gluten-free bread for breakfast sandwiches below.
For more breakfast ideas to get you ready to take on the day, check out these 20 DELICIOUS High-Protein Breakfast Recipes, but first, let’s pack the protein into this healthy gluten-free handheld. You’re going to LOVE it!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It’s a 5-minute gluten-free balanced breakfast.
- It’s as easy as frying an egg (literally).
- You can easily make it dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan!
- All of that protein keeps you energized and satisfied for hours.
- Budget-friendly and freezer-friendly!
Ingredients You'll Need
- Egg and egg whites – I used one whole egg and 2 egg whites, adding 15 grams of high-quality protein to this sandwich, but you can adjust the egg-to-egg white ratio with your macronutrient goals. For an egg-free version, use Just Egg here.
- Avocado Oil Cooking Spray – When making a fried egg for a breakfast sandwich, this is my go-to cooking spray. Olive oil spray or butter works great here, too.
- Ham – I buy Boar’s Head 42% Lower Sodium Deluxe Ham. At 10 grams of protein and 1 gram of fat per serving, you can’t beat it. See below for substitutions.
- Cheese- I used thinly sliced sharp cheddar for a more robust cheese flavor.
- Gluten-free roll/bread – There’s a gluten-free alternative for many types of bread. Use your favorite or try one of the recommendations listed in the FAQs.
- Mayo – Spreading the bread lightly with mayo adds flavor and moisture while keeping the heavy fillings in place. You can use avocado mayo, regular mayo, light mayo, vegan mayo, or make homemade olive oil mayo. It’s super easy!
- Avocado – Avocado gives breakfast sandwiches a boost of healthy fats and fiber. I like keeping it simple with sliced avocado, but mashed avocado, guacamole, or my Protein Avocado Dip is also a delicious and very nutritious option.
How To Make A Gluten-Free Breakfast Sandwich
Step 1: Cook a perfect over-medium egg. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with avocado oil spray, add the egg and egg whites and cook undisturbed until the whites are almost set. Flip and cook for another 30-45 seconds or until the whites are thoroughly cooked and the yolk is slightly runny.
Step 2: Toast bread with ham and cheese. Meanwhile, spread the mayo on the inside of the roll. Top with ham and cheese and lightly toast, open-faced, until cheese is melted.
Step 3: Assemble the sandwich. Top with the cooked eggs and sliced avocado.
Step 4: Season and serve. Season with salt and pepper, fold the two sides together and enjoy.
- Prefer your eggs scrambled? Whisk the egg and egg whites together in a small bowl before cooking them in a generously buttered small skillet. Cook until the liquid thickens but the eggs are still glossy and moist.
- If you’d like to heat the ham, simply pop it into the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Or, if you have an extra minute, I recommend searing the slices in a hot skillet so the meat browns a bit and the edges get crispy.
- Use a flavored salt to jazz up the flavor. If you can get your hands on bacon salt, it's a game-changer! Trader Joe's Everything But The Bagel seasoning is great here, too.
Have it your way! Make this gluten-free breakfast sandwich with other breakfast meats, veggies, sandwich spreads, and more.
- Swap ham with lean proteins like turkey sausage, bacon, Canadian bacon, gluten-free plant-based breakfast sausage, etc.
- Get creative with the condiments. Instead of mayo, try pesto, Greek feta protein spread, aioli, or hummus.
- If you want more veggies, alfalfa sprouts, pickled onions, sliced tomato, baby spinach leaves, and arugula are always a good idea.
This sandwich is best immediately while the egg is hot and gooey and the bread is freshly toasted. Wrap leftovers tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
What kind of gluten-free bread makes a delicious breakfast sandwich?
The choices listed below do the best job of mimicking the real deal. They toast well and are sturdy enough to support the meat, egg, and fillings.
- Schar Ciabatta Rolls
- Schar White Bread
- Schar Multigrain Bread
- Udi’s Soft White Sandwich Bread
- Udi’s Multigrain Sandwich Bread
- Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White Loaf
- Canyon Bakehouse Ancient Grain Loaf
What about English muffins?
Glutino, Katz, and Franz brand gluten-free English muffins have rave reviews!
Is this breakfast sandwich good for meal prep?
Yes and no. For meal prep purposes, I don’t recommend using sliced sandwich bread as it will quickly turn soggy during storage. However, a gluten-free English muffin will hold up quite nicely in the freezer.
How do you freeze it?
Lightly toast gluten-free English muffins, then assemble the sandwiches without the avocado. Let cool, then wrap tightly in foil, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready, let the sandwich thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it (still wrapped in foil) in a 350° oven or air fryer for 3-5 minutes.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Gluten-free Protein Pancakes with Fresh Peaches
- Breakfast Steak Breakfast Burritos
- Sausage and Egg Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- Savory Breakfast Cookies
If you love this recipe, I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Stay posted on my latest cooking adventures through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Also, don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Gluten-Free Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 Schar Gluten-Free Ciabatta Roll or your favorite gluten-free bread slices or roll
- Avocado oil cooking spray Can also use olive oil spray or butter
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1.5 oz Boar's Head low-sodium ham
- 32 g sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon light mayo or avocado oil mayonnaise
- ¼ avocado sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with avocado oil spray, add the egg and egg whites and cook undisturbed until the whites are almost set. Flip and cook for another 30-45 seconds or until the whites are thoroughly cooked and the yolk is slightly runny.
- Meanwhile, spread the mayo on the inside of the roll. Top with ham and cheese and lightly toast, open-faced, until cheese is melted.
- Top with the cooked eggs and sliced avocado.
- Season with salt and pepper, fold the two sides together, and enjoy.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
I think there is no alternative of sandwich in Breakfast
Thank you Christin!
Emily @ Sinful Nutrition
Ultimate indeed! I would be one happy gal with a cup of coffee and one of these every morning. 🙂
Whitni @ A Cookie & A Kiss
This looks like a perfect start to the day. Seriously. Looks so good.
Thank you Whitni!