This easy recipe for grilled parmesan asparagus in foil packets is an insanely delicious way to enjoy asparagus during the warmer months. Just toss them on the grill while you're preparing the meat and you've got a simple, nutrient-dense side dish in 12 minutes or less!
I live in my outdoor kitchen, aka "my porch", when the weather turns warm. Grilling up my favorite foods is something I love doing because being outside when it's warm out is something I truly enjoy. Grilled asparagus is one of my top recipes for outdoor grilling because it’s fast and cleanup is a breeze! It pairs perfectly with Grilled Salmon and a side of fresh Grilled Corn On The Cob.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Cleanup is an absolute breeze. The asparagus is prepared right in a foil packet and can be thrown away when you’re done grilling leaving no dishes behind.
- Asparagus cooks very quickly, especially on the grill making it a side dish you can whip together in no time.
- Asparagus pairs well with so many different proteins and sides making it a versatile side dish for your spring and summer rotation.
- You can change it up by using whatever cheese you enjoy to give it a salty bite and bold flavor.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Fresh Asparagus - Asparagus can be found in most grocery stores year-round and can also be found at your local farmers' market when it's in season from February until June.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese - This classic cheese pairs well with asparagus giving it a salty bite and a nice cheesy flavor.
- Lemon Zest - Goes great with any green vegetable as the citrus acidity helps cut down on any bitterness.
- Olive Oil - This helps the asparagus cook and helps the seasonings stick.
- Seasonings - You’ll need a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste and help enhance the flavors of the grilled asparagus.
How To Grill Asparagus with Parmesan
Step 1. Heat grill to medium heat and tear off a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, enough to wrap around all sides of asparagus.
Step 2. Rinse asparagus, pat dry, and snap off the ends.
Step 3. Place asparagus in the center of the foil and drizzle with olive oil.
Step 4. Sprinkle cheese on top and season with lemon zest, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 6. Bring the ends of the foil together and seal the foil.
Step 7. Grill for 10-12 minutes, rotating once during cooking. Enjoy!
How To Trim Asparagus Ends
Believe it or not, asparagus has a natural breaking point to show you exactly where to trim!
- Hold the end of the asparagus spear in your hand and bend it slightly.
- Keep bending the asparagus gently until it snaps. This is where you’ll want to trim.
- Snap each one individually or use the first asparagus spear as a guide.
Grilling Asparagus In The Big Green Egg
You can also make this recipe using the Big Green Egg for perfectly tender grilled asparagus.
- Set the big green egg for direct cooking at 350F.
- Add your prepared asparagus foil packet to the grill.
- Grill for 10-12 minutes or until asparagus is tender and cooked through.
- Spice it up by adding some cayenne pepper or red chili flake to the dry seasonings.
- For extra buttery asparagus, use melted butter instead of olive oil.
- Change up the cheese by adding grated pecorino romano or a melty cheese like shredded gouda or mozzarella.
Since asparagus is a delicate vegetable, it’s best if eaten right away. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Due to the high water content in asparagus, it is not recommended to freeze as the texture will get soggy when thawed.
Although the ends of asparagus are edible, they are not enjoyable. The ends of asparagus contain thick fibers that are similar to wood making them hard to chew and digest.
What To Serve With Grilled Asparagus
- Since asparagus goes with just about anything, make this recipe along with these summer favorites:
- Use the grill to make asparagus and Grilled Salmon.
- A great addition to this delicious Garlic Lime Grilled Flat Iron Steak.
- Sip on a Kiwi Skinny Mojito or Summer Peach Frozen Frosé with dinner.
- Pairs well with Bacon Wrapped Tex Mex Chicken.
*This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been updated to improve the reader experience. This delicious recipe remains the same.
LIKE THIS POST? DON'T FORGET TO PIN IT FOR LATER, RATE, COMMENT, AND SHARE! 🙂
Parmesan Grilled Asparagus
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- dash garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Heat grill to medium heat and tear off a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Rinse asparagus, pat dry and snap off the ends
- Place asparagus in the center of the foil and drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle lemon zest and cheese on top and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Bring ends together and seal the foil
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, rotating once during cooking