I’m going to be totally honest with you, I did not have high expectations for this dish. I LOVE the nutrient density in this recipe, but the milk, bean and spice mixture was a little strange to me. However, I’ve got to admit, this chicken vegetable casserole totally exceeded my expectations and turned out pretty tasty.
I was so glad that I ended up with a lot of leftovers to eat for lunch. I do not like to take time out of my day to fuss with lunch. I wish that I could say that I even sometimes forget to eat, but….um….that never happens. I’m a girl that really likes her food.
This recipe is from my Gourmet Nutrition cookbook (from Precision Nutrition) and was originally made with ground turkey. However, I’m not a fan of the flavor of ground turkey so I substituted ground chicken instead. I think it would also be tasty with lean ground beef, so I might give that a go next time and even switch up some of the veggies and throw in zucchini, corn and maybe some green peas. Yum.
Healthier Chicken Vegetable Casserole
*Adapted from "Ground Turkey Casserole" from Gourmet Nutrition
- 1/2 cup navy beans, drained
- 1 cup milk (I used Fairlife 2% milk)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (hard bottom stem removed)
- 2 cups grated green cabbage
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat aged white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse the drained navy beans with water and dump into a blender
- Add half of the milk, coriander, turmeric, and blend until smooth
- Add the rest of the milk and the broth and blend until mixed
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat
- Add ground chicken and onion and cook until meat is no longer pink and onions are soft
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with olive oil spray and spread the cooked meat on the bottom of the dish
- Add all other ingredients to the dish, including milk mixture and cheese and stir to mix well.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly browned on top.
by Amee Livingston