This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This easy Gluten-Free Chicken Butternut Squash Casserole is low-carb comfort food at it’s finest. Made with boneless chicken breasts, spiralized butternut squash and a creamy garlic mushroom sauce, you’ll be coming back for seconds. You’ll never miss having pasta in this hearty, satisfying dish.
One-dish meals are the best, especially when they involve cheese. I like to make life easier by cooking everything in one dish for convenience. I have a few more favorite one-dish meals on the blog, like this Greek Chicken Stew (a must try!), Spaghetti Squash Meatball Casserole (also a family favorite), and a healthier Chicken Vegetable Casserole that’s packed with a LOT of veggies. There are plenty more, just to name a few.
I used to make a version of this chicken casserole recipe that involved egg noodles, but I wanted to switch up the pasta with a nutrient-dense vegetable and reduce the carbohydrates since there is more fat in this dish (why it tastes SO good ;). I knew that butternut squash would hold up well in a baked dish and the results were amazing. We declared this creamy gluten-free chicken butternut squash casserole a winner, winner, chicken dinner!
This recipe makes eight generous servings at only 273 calories each. I like to serve this dish with steamed broccoli or a side salad. It would also be amazing over cauliflower mashed potatoes.
If you make this recipe, be sure and tag me on Instagram @ameessavorydish! I love seeing what you make!
Want a bite?!
Creamy Gluten-Free Chicken Butternut Squash Casserole
- 16 oz spiralized butternut squash
- 18 oz cooked boneless chicken breast ,chopped into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic ,minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 shallots ,finely chopped
- ⅓ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour *I used King Arthur Brand
- 1 tsp chicken boullion *I used Better than Boullion brand
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme *pull leaves from stem
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper *or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add shallots and garlic.
- Sauté until mushrooms are lightly browned and garlic is fragrant.
- Whisk in flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add milk, broth, and seasonings. Stir until sauce has thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add in squash "noodles", chicken, and ¼ of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch casserole dish sprayed with olive oil spray and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and all of the cheese has melted.