This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole made with boneless chicken breasts and black beans is a great, one dish, dinner that is a cinch to throw together. I love it when I can represent all food groups in one pan.
This tasty and nutritious casserole is made with lean protein and high fiber sources of carbohydrates. It's a satisfying kid-friendly meal that my kids gave "two thumbs up"!
I adapted this recipe from All You magazine (February edition). It's a great money-saving magazine that's loaded with coupons and shopping tips. I made a few changes from the original recipe to come up with this protein-packed, higher-fiber version.
- Chicken breasts- you'll need boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- Taco seasoning- storebought or homemade taco seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil- for sautéing the chicken
- Red or green pepper-seeded and chopped fine
- Salsa- storebought or homemade salsa works great for this recipe. I love Mateo's or Jack's Special Salsa when I don't have time to make it from scratch.
- Cream cheese- I use low-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- Black beans- drained and rinsed
- Tomato- canned diced tomatoes, drained
- Low carb tortillas-I used Tumaro's carb-wise tortillas to calculate the macros for this recipe, but feel free to use your favorite brand
- Mexican shredded cheese- you can keep things easy and buy the Mexican blend shredded cheese or use a block of Monterey Jack and grate it fresh.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Warm olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add diced chicken and taco seasoning and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice green peppers and set them aside in a small bowl.
Drain and rinse black beans.
Drain tomatoes (if using canned).
Add bell peppers and cook for 2-3 more minutes with the chicken.
Stir in your favorite salsa.
Cook for 2 more minutes with salsa. Add cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until melted and blended.
Stir in beans and tomatoes. Now your filling is ready and you can assemble the layers.
Pour yourself a glass of wine or whip up a spicy margarita. It makes cooking a lot more fun.
Spoon ⅓ of chicken mixture into a medium-size baking dish. Cover with two tortillas (they will overlap, slightly), top with ½ of the remaining chicken mixture, and ½ cup cheese. Top with the remaining 2 tortillas, chicken mixture, and the rest of the cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer until cheese is melted.
Serve immediately with your favorite condiments. I'm usually never without Cholula sauce or green Tabasco. I like to keep things a little spicy.
Want a slice?!
If you make and enjoy this recipe, I'd love for you to tag me on Instagram @ameessavorydish!
*Originally published February 11, 2011. Last updated on July 24, 2019.
Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red or green pepper seeded and chopped fine
- 16 oz of your favorite salsa I love Mateo's and Jack's Special Salsa
- 2 oz low-fat cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 chopped tomato or 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 4 low carb tortillas 6" tortillas (can use whatever tortillas you prefer)
- 1 cup low-fat Mexican shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced chicken and taco seasoning and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice green peppers.
- Drain and rinse black beans.Drain tomatoes (if using canned).
- Add bell peppers and cook for 2-3 more minutes with the chicken mixture.
- Stir in salsa.
- Cook for 2 more minutes with salsa.
- Add cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until melted and blended.
- Stir in beans and tomatoes.
- Spoon ⅓ of chicken mixture into a medium size baking dish.
- Cover with two tortillas (they will overlap, slightly), top with ½ of the remaining chicken mixture and ½ cup cheese.
- Top with remaining 2 tortillas, chicken mixture and the rest of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.