This loaded chicken nachos recipe is a kid favorite in my house. They love nachos and I wanted to make a healthier version of their favorite indulgent Mexican dish. The chicken cooked away in my slow cooker while I went about my day. When it is time to assemble the nachos, it’s simple and fast! I had dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes. Great for busy weeknights!!
Loaded Chicken Nachos
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 packet taco seasoning (or homemade)
2 cups chicken broth
1 8oz block low-fat cheese, shredded (cheddar or monterey jack)
1 fresh avocado, sliced
your favorite salsa (I love Archer Farms or Jack’s special)
low-fat sour cream
organic blue cornchips
For the chicken:
Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray and pour chicken broth in the bottom. I use a roasting rack in my crockpot for cooking chicken and other meat. I highly recommend this wonderful gadget to keep the meat moist and prevent it from sticking to the bottom of your slow cooker. You can order one for your slow cooker at the bottom of this post. I love mine!! Sprinkle chicken generously with taco seasoning. Cook on low for 4 hours. Chicken should shred easily when done.
For the nachos:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9×13 baker, spread the chips on the bottom of the pan. I crush mine a little, so they get evenly coated with all the cheesy goodness.
Shred the chicken from the crockpot and spread on top of the chips.
Then sprinkle your cheese over top. You can add more or less cheese, depending on your preference.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until all cheese is melted. Serve over shredded lettuce with salsa, sour cream, sliced avocados and pickled jalepenos. A simple, lightened-up kid-friendly meal that is simple and delicious! 6-8 servings
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 8 oz block low-fat cheese shredded (cheddar or monterey jack)
- 1 fresh avocado sliced
- your favorite salsa I love Archer Farms or Jack's special
- low-fat sour cream
- pickled jalepenos
- shredded lettuce
- organic blue cornchips
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray and pour chicken broth in the bottom.
- Season with taco seasoning and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9x13 baker, spread the chips on the bottom of the pan.
- Shred the chicken from the crockpot and spread on top of the chips.
- Top with cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes