This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup makes a quick and healthy family meal!
I came up with this easy chicken tortellini soup recipe by combining a few different recipes, taking the best of each one. That’s how this tasty version was born. I love this fast, healthy meal and it’s one of the few ways that my kids will eat spinach. My daughter told me tonight that the spinach soup was really delicious and ate every last bite! That’s a mom win!
Using a good quality rich broth makes a big difference in how this soup turns out. Go for a homemade stock if you have some on hand in the freezer. Chicken stock is super easy to make with a leftover rotisserie chicken carcass. I pick up a rotisserie chicken at least twice a month for an easy weeknight dinner. The Kitchn has a great tip for making thicker, richer homemade chicken broth.
Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortellini SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 1 32oz carton organic chicken broth
- 1 32oz carton free range roasted chicken broth
- 1 small diced onion
- 16 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 small chicken breasts diced-I lightly season them with salt and pepper
- ½ lb fresh spinach stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese block for best flavor
- Dice chicken breast and onion.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and onion and cook for 5-8 minutes or until onion is transparent and chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken and onion are cooking, remove stems from spinach and rinse well.
- Coarsely chop spinach.
- Add stock to dutch oven and raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until tortellini floats and is cooked through.
- Fold in spinach until it is all wilted in the soup.
- Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Take off heat and serve topped with grated parm cheese and a crusty whole grain french baguette.
For an interesting kick:
Add 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger to the broth while cooking. For my veggie friends, just leave out the meat and sub the chicken broth with vegetable broth, add a can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped.