A tasty recipe for whipped chocolate icebox pie with pecan pie crust made with no flour or added sugar and chilled for a perfect summertime dessert. This gluten-free lighter summer pie recipe has a pecan pie crust made with only 3 simple ingredients.
Each month, as a part of The Recipe Redux (a group of registered dietitians and healthy living bloggers) we create a themed recipe that is made a healthier or lightened-up. This month's theme is pie, because who doesn't love to splurge on a delicious slice of pie every now and then?!
Ingredients For The Pie
This pie is made with minimal ingredients and can be whipped up in advance for easy party planning.
- Coconut Sugar
- Reduced-fat cream cheese
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Real maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Half and half
- Truwhip (a healthier version of Cool Whip made without hydrogenated oil, but you can use another non-dairy whipped topping)
- Heath candy bars
There is no added sugar in this pie recipe, the sweetness comes from a hint of maple syrup, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and chopped-up Heath bars. You could lower the sugar, even more, using sugar-free dark chocolate chips. Lily's makes great sugar-free chocolate products. Definitely check them out if you haven't already!
This chocolate icebox pie is stored in the freezer, so it's easy to slice. You get a nice crunch from the Heath bars in every silky, chocolatey bite. So good!! This chilled chocolate icebox pie makes the perfect summertime dessert!
How To Store Icebox Pie
This pie can be stored, covered, in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. After serving, store any leftover pie in the freezer for the best texture. Allow the pie to sit out for a few minutes after slicing before serving.
Whipped Chocolate IceBox Pie with Pecan Pie Crust
- For the crust:
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- For the filling:
- 8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon half and half
- 2 cups Truwhip whipped topping an alternative to cool-whip
- 2 1.4oz Heath bars, chopped
- For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine pecans, butter, coconut sugar and in a food processor
- Pulse until ground
- Press into the bottom and sides of a 9" pie plate
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and cool
- For the filling:
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 ½ minutes, stirring every 30 seconds to allow to cool
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cream cheese, vanilla, half and half, maple syrup and cooled chocolate. Blend until smooth. Stir in Heath bars and fold in whipped topping. Pour into cooled pie crust, cover and freeze for at least 3 hours before slicing (pie should be firm). Store leftover pie in the freezer.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Rachel @ athletic avocado
I'm seriously drooling over this right now! It can't get any better than this!
Thank you Rachel!
Sign me up for a slice of this please!
You got it Deanna!:)
This looks like the perfect summertime dessert
Thank you Allie, cold desserts are the best this time of year. 🙂
Literally..not one word in this title that I don't love. This is actually heaven in a pie!
Thank you so much Sarah! 🙂