You'll love this copycat ball-shaped version of the popular and tasty Larabars. These coconut almond date balls are made with dried dates, almond butter, coconut, nuts, and fruit. Best of all, they're easy to make and incredibly delicious!
Ok, so I'm a little obsessed with Larabars. Currently, I have about 5 boxes in my pantry. To save money, I wanted to come up with a homemade variation of my own. These snacks can get expensive, so I played around with this coconut date balls recipe until the flavor and texture were just right. I ended up with a delicious coconut energy ball perfectly sweetened with dates that are just like my beloved bars. This portable snack is perfect for when you need a little pre or post-workout energy.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Whole, raw almonds (with the skin on)
- Melted virgin coconut oil
- Roasted almond butter
- Coconut cream
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Pitted dates
- Good quality vanilla extract
- Spices: cinnamon, salt, nutmeg (freshly grated and just a dash because nutmeg can be overpowering)
- Orange for zesting
- Extra coconut for rolling balls
Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blend until well mixed, making sure that the nuts are in small bits and not finely ground. Add dates and pulse until the mixture starts to form a ball and stick together. Blend dates thoroughly so the mixture is easy to roll into balls.
These date balls are incredibly moist, full of flavor, and have a slight crunch from the chopped nuts. The key to making them is to be careful not to over-process. That way you are left with small bits of almonds to give that nice contrast in texture.
Don't skip out on the orange zest! It's not enough to be overpowering, but enough to add great flavor. I use a Microplane zester to grate the nutmeg and orange. The finer shreds work great to evenly distribute the flavor.
Store the date balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? DON'T FORGET TO PIN IT FOR LATER, RATE, COMMENT, AND SHARE! 🙂
Coconut Almond Date Balls
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup raw almonds whole with the skin on
- 3 teaspoon virgin coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoon roasted almond butter
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- dash freshly grated nutmeg *just a dash,nutmeg can be overpowering
- 1 teaspoon orange zest about one whole orange zested with a Microplane
- ½ cup extra coconut for rolling balls
- Put all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blend until well mixed, nuts should be in small bits and not finely ground.
- Add dates and pulse until mixture starts to form a ball and stick together.
- Dates should be incorporated and the mixture should easily roll into balls.
- Roll balls into coconut and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.