This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
You’ll love this copycat ball-shaped version of the popular and tasty Larabars. These coconut almond energy balls are made with dried dates, nuts, and fruit.
Ok, so I’m a little obsessed with Larabars. Currently, I have about 5 boxes in my pantry. To save money, I wanted to come up with a homemade variation of my own. These snacks can get expensive, so I played around with this coconut almond energy balls recipe until the flavor and texture were just right. I ended up with a delicious coconut energy ball that is just like my beloved bars.
These balls are incredibly moist, full of flavor and have a slight crunch from the chopped nuts. The key to making them is to be careful not to over-process. That way you are left with small bits of almonds to give that nice contrast in texture.
Don’t skip out on the orange zest. It’s not enough to be overpowering, but enough to add great flavor. I use a Microplane zester to grate the nutmeg and orange. The finer shreds work great to evenly distribute the flavor.
How To Make Coconut Almond Energy Balls
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup whole, raw almonds (with the skin on)
3 tsp melted virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp roasted almond butter
2 tbsp coconut cream
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash freshly grated nutmeg *just a dash, nutmeg can be overpowering
zest of 1 small orange
extra coconut for rolling balls
Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blend until well mixed, making sure that the nuts are in small bits and not finely ground. Add dates and pulse until the mixture starts to form a ball and stick together. Blend dates thoroughly so the mixture is easy to roll into balls.
Coconut Almond Energy Balls
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup whole raw almonds (with the skin on)
- 3 tsp melted virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp roasted almond butter
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash freshly grated nutmeg *just a dash nutmeg can be overpowering
- zest of 1 small orange
- extra coconut for rolling balls
- Put all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blend until well mixed, nuts should be in small bits and not finely ground.
- Add dates and pulse until mixture starts to form a ball and stick together.
- Dates should be incorporated and mixture should easily roll into a balls.
- Roll balls into coconut and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.