Creamy Ham Spaghetti Casserole is a delicious one-dish casserole dinner made with high protein pasta, chopped ham, butter, olive oil, and English peas in a lightened-up cream sauce. Perfect for a kid-friendly weeknight meal.
During a busy week, the last thing that I feel like doing is meal planning and grocery shopping. Life gets hectic and we crave a way to simplify our schedules. Instead of trying to prepare big, square meals during busy weeks, I try to make one-dish meals that incorporate all of the food groups. They can be healthy, fast, and prepared in advance. This Creamy Ham and Spaghetti Casserole recipe is a simple and tasty favorite in our house.
This ham spaghetti casserole is made with sautéed chopped ham, fresh mushrooms, onion, sweet English peas, and fresh herbs. Also, don't leave out the sherry! It adds an incredible flavor boost to this casserole.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Spaghetti- I use high-protein pasta, like Barilla Plus. I also love Dreamfields for a healthier pasta option. Feel free to use your favorite type of spaghetti.
- Butter- I use Land O' Lakes olive oil butter blend sticks. You can substitute with regular butter.
- Mushrooms- sliced and finely chopped
- Fresh Parsley- fresh herbs are always best for flavor
- Ham- any minced ham of choice works for this casserole. I use low-sodium ham. You can also use pancetta, but keep in mind that it's much saltier.
- Onion- Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- Flour- unbleached all-purpose flour
- Chicken broth- for adding great flavor
- Sherry- sherry enhances the flavors in this dish and adds a nice kick. Don't skip it!
- Nutmeg- just a dash of freshly grated nutmeg is all you need.
- Salt & Pepper- an essential duo for adding flavor and spice.
- Half & Half- I go with the fat-free version to lower the calories and fat but feel free to go with the real thing if preferred.
- Parmesan cheese- freshly grated from the block is best for flavor
- English Peas- go with fresh peas here.
How To Make Creamy Ham and Spaghetti Casserole
Step 1. Heat oven to 350°. F and spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2. Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water following the package directions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
Step 3. In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, ham, onion, peas, and parsley. Saute, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and slightly caramelized (do not brown).
Step 4. Stir in flour until blended. Add chicken broth, sherry, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Step 5. Stir in fat-free half-and-half and half of the cheese. Cook until the sauce is creamy and all cheese is melted. Add the pasta and stir to blend and pour into the prepared baking dish.
Step 6. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Into the oven...
Ready to dive in! Enjoy!
Creamy Ham Spaghetti Casserole
- 10 oz dry Barilla Plus spaghetti Dreamfields is also recommended
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms chopped small
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 ½ cups minced lean low-sodium ham you can also use pancetta
- ½ sweet onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoon organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon sherry
- Dash fresh grated nutmeg nutmeg is strong, just a dash for flavor
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Dash fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup fat-free half and half this works great in this dish to cut calories
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup fresh English peas
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water following the package directions.
- Rinse, drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, ham, onion, peas, and parsley.
- Saute, stirring, until mushrooms are tender and slightly caramelized (do not brown).
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Add chicken broth, sherry, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Stir in fat-free half-and-half and half of the cheese.
- Cook until sauce is creamy and all cheese is melted.
- Add the pasta and stir to blend.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until hot and bubbly.