This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is focused on plant-based protein power bowls that are loaded with good fiber, lean muscle-building protein and full of micronutrients. This Roasted Vegetable Power Bowl with Creamy Avocado Dressing has all of the above and really tasty, to boot!
I’ll be honest, I don’t eat a lot of vegetarian meals. My meal proteins usually consist of eggs, lean beef, skinless chicken breasts, fish, low-fat Greek yogurt and whey protein powder. Typically, grains and legumes are a compliment to my vegetables and favorite lean protein sources. Plants can actually be really tasty, it’s all in how they are prepared and seasoned to your taste buds. I believe in eating a LOT of them every single day. Vegetables make up the core of my plate, along with 3-4 oz lean protein, a serving of healthy fat and fiber-rich whole grains and fruit at some of my meals.
Do you love plant-based power bowls? What are your favorite ingredients?
Roasted Vegetable Power Bowl with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup cooked lentils (prepared in vegetable broth according to package directions)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (prepared in vegetable broth according to package directions)
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling over vegetables (can use olive oil spray)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp raw sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread broccoli, cauliflower and carrots evenly onto a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Toss to coat veggies well.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are lightly browning and soft.
- While vegetables are roasting, divide lentils and quinoa evenly among 4 bowls.
- In a small blender or food processor, combine avocado, cilantro, yogurt, garlic, lime juice, sugar or honey, salt and onion powder.
- Blend until smooth.
- Top lentils and quinoa with hot roasted vegetables from the oven and drizzle the avocado dressing evenly among the four bowls.
- Enjoy immediately.
by Amee Livingston