These baked cheese-stuffed jalapeño peppers aka jalapeño poppers are delicious as an appetizer or game-day snack. Hot peppers are stuffed with a mixture of spicy cheddar cheese and cream cheese, then baked until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted and golden brown.
This recipe works great with both banana peppers and jalapeno peppers. The jalapenos hold up better when cooking, but I have a lot of banana peppers in my garden right now, and this is my family's favorite way to gobble them up.
You can make the cheese-stuffed peppers using any variety of good quality, soft cheese (that melts better than hard cheese varieties). I like to use Cabot's Chipotle White Cheddar.
How To Make Easy Jalapeño Poppers
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. These cheese-stuffed jalapeño peppers make a great quick and super easy appetizer! Don't forget the spicy jalapeño margaritas!!
Watch the poppers as they cook, since oven times/ temperatures can vary and pull them out when the cheese is nice and golden brown on top. If you use a countertop convection oven, they cook faster than a regular wall oven or stove.
If you want to take these stuffed peppers up a notch, you can wrap them in bacon before cooking or pan-fry thinly sliced pork belly until crispy, then chop into pieces and sprinkle on top of the peppers before serving. So damn good.
More Delicious Recipes With A Kick
*Note: This post was originally published in July 2012. It has been updated throughout.
Spicy Baked Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers
- 15 medium-large peppers jalapeño or banana
- 8 oz Chipotle White Cheddar cheese such as Cabot's, or other spicy cheese, shredded
- 8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice peppers lengthwise in half. Scoop out seeds and membrane and discard.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend remaining ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Stuff peppers with cheese mixture and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place pan in oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.