This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A simple and delicious method for making salt roasted shrimp by cooking shell-on shrimp in a hot salted cast-iron skillet served with a flavorful lemon garlic butter sauce.
If you've never tried this cooking method for shrimp, then you're in for a treat with this salt-roasted shrimp recipe. This mess-free method is such an easy way to make perfectly cooked moist shrimp, by simply roasting them in their shell over a bed of rock salt. This roasting method brings out the sweetness and flavor of the shrimp. You'll need a heavy cast-iron skillet for best results. You can even toss peppercorns and herbs in the mix for added flavor infusion. Also, don't miss out on the dipping sauce, it makes roasted shrimp over-the-top amazing!
How To Salt Roast Shrimp
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F
- Spread rock salt all over the bottom of a cast-iron skillet, enough to cover the bottom about an inch thick
- Place the salt-covered skillet in the hot oven for 5-7 minutes to get really hot
- Arrange the shrimp, shell-on, on top of the salt
- Roast the shrimp for 6-7 minutes, until just opaque in the center (do not overcook!)
How To Make Herbed Butter Dip For Roasted Shrimp
- Melt ½ cup butter in a saucepan (I use the Land O'Lakes butter olive oil blend sticks) over low heat
- Add the lemon, garlic, and parsley and stir until garlic is soft
- Serve with the roasted shrimp for dipping
Salt Roasted Shrimp
- 1 lb Colossal Wild-Caught Gulf Shrimp
- 2-3 cups rock salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup butter with olive oil and sea salt Land O' Lakes
- ¼ cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Spread rock salt in the bottom of a large cast iron skillet, enough to cover the bottom about an inch thick
- Place skillet in the hot oven for 5-7 minutes to get really hot, then arrange shrimp (shell-on) on top of the salt
- Roast the shrimp on the salt for 6-7 minutes, until just opaque in the center.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, then add the lemon, garlic and parsley
- Stir until garlic is soft, then serve with the roasted shrimp for dipping.
*I always look for good quality seafood harvested from our gulf coast waters.
You can learn more about gulf seafood and the importance of knowing the sourcing of seafood in my post about My Gulf Coast Experience with The Gulf Seafood Marketing Coalition.
- Herb-Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans - February 8, 2021
- 50 Easy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes - February 3, 2021
- Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie - February 1, 2021