This easy fruit and veggie smoothie made with baby kale, a fresh carrot, frozen berries, almond butter, and hemp seeds is a great way to pack nutrition into your morning meal. You can't go wrong with this vegan green smoothie packed with healthy, whole-food ingredients. This tasty breakfast green drink recipe is also paleo and Whole30 approved.
March 1st was the beginning of the Whole30 Challenge at our gym. It's a whole food Paleo nutrition challenge to eliminate foods that can have a negative impact on your health. The goal of the challenge is to change the way you think about food, increase energy levels, improve athletic performance, improve overall health and build lean body mass.
You cannot out-train a bad diet! Good nutrition and exercise go hand-in-hand for a healthy body. My friend and coworker at the gym, Kevin, drinks this nutrient-packed green drink with his breakfast. I love all the good nutrition packed into this breakfast drink. It provides the vitamins, minerals, carbs, and fiber needed to kick start your day. Kale is a great source of calcium when you are not eating dairy. For my own little twist, I added shelled hemp seeds to give this recipe a whole food protein boost. If you want to boost the protein, even more, you can add a few more tablespoons of hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts) to the recipe. You could also add a scoop of plant-based protein powder or collagen powder to the smoothie if you aren't on a Whole30 eating plan.
Also, I make sure to get plenty of green and nutrient-dense vegetables in my daily diet when eliminating grains and beans. There is nothing in grains that you cannot get from fruits and vegetables, but you must eat them to prevent deficiencies in your diet. My go-to is a big, healthy salad, or sometimes I choose to drink my nutrients in a delicious and healthy way. This vegan green drink recipe packs it all in!
Fruit and Veggie Smoothie Ingredients
- Organic apple juice- You want to use apple juice that is not from concentrate from either freshly juiced apples or an organic product, like R.W. Knudsen organic apple juice
- Organic carrot- peeled and cut in half
- Baby kale- I love using organic baby kale that comes in the prewashed containers for convenience. Even though it comes prewashed, I always give it a good rinse and spin in the salad spinner, and I don't really measure the kale, I just grab a generous handful.
- Organic Frozen berries- using frozen strawberries and frozen wild blueberries for this recipe gives the smoothie a good consistency without having to add ice.
- Almond butter- you'll want a good quality almond butter without added oils or sweeteners
- Organic shelled hemp seeds- Shelled hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts) provide some great health benefits. They are a great complete source of plant-based protein containing all nine essential amino acids, healthy fat, fiber, and micronutrients.
Throw it all into a blender, starting with the liquid.
Then blend and enjoy!
Smoothie Prep Tip
When doing your weekly meal prep, pre-package your fruits and veggies in small zipper bags and freeze. That way, all you have to do is throw it in a blender, add your liquid and any other ingredients you want to throw in, blend, and enjoy! This makes morning prep a breeze!
More Whole30 Recipe Inspiration
Morning Fruit and Veggie Smoothie
- ½ cup organic apple juice from pressed apples not from concentrate. I use R.W. Knudsen organic apple juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 small carrot peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup baby kale I just grab a big handful
- 5 large frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds aka hemp hearts
- Throw everything into a blender or Vitamix starting with the liquid and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.