Chocolate Nutella Cake Balls are a rich and delicious cake ball recipe made with creamy Nutella, chopped hazelnuts, chocolate cake and dipped in melted chocolate. These bite-size Nutella cake pops without the stick are perfect for a holiday party or cookie exchange.
After playing around with making cake pops this Halloween, I thought it would be fun to do a Nutella cake ball for my Christmas cookie exchange. I wanted to try a new twist on the cake pop recipe, so I added one of my favorite things in the whole world to the cake crumbles.....NUTELLA (a.k.a heaven on a spoon).
I knew that Nutella would work incredibly well as a binding agent instead of the frosting that normally holds a cake ball together. I also added chopped hazelnuts for a great crunch. A new family favorite was born this week. These little Chocolate Nutella Cake Balls are dangerously delicious!!
Ingredients You'll Need:
1 Box of Devil’s food cake, baked according to package directions and cooled (or your favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe)
1 ½ cups hazelnuts, chopped finely
1 (13 oz) container Nutella
12 oz bag Ghirardelli bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
Royal icing for drizzling (store-bought or homemade)
*Optional: Sugar sprinkles
How To Make Nutella Cake Balls
Prepare the cake and cool. Break the cake up into sections and place them into the bowl of an electric mixer. Set mixer to low and mix until cake is crumbly. Add Nutella and mix until just incorporated. Add hazelnuts and mix until combined. Roll into tablespoon-size balls and refrigerate overnight.
Melt the chocolate and the shortening in a double boiler until smooth. Dip balls one at a time with a fork and allow them to dry and harden on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
Drizzle with royal icing and top with clear sugar sprinkles. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve.
So delicious! It's hard to eat just one!
If you love this recipe I would be so grateful if you could leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card below. I love reading your comments and feedback!
Stay posted on my latest cooking adventures through social media @ Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Don't forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes!
Chocolate Nutella Cake Balls
- 1 Devil’s food cake baked and cooled (box or homemade-I used Betty Crocker's Devil's Food Cake mix prepared per box directions in the nutrition calculations for this recipe)
- 1 ½ cups hazelnuts chopped finely
- 13 oz container Nutella
- 12 oz bag semisweet chocolate chips Ghirardelli recommended
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Royal icing for drizzling
- *Optional: Sugar sprinkles
- Prepare cake and cool.
- Break cake up into sections and place into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Set mixer to low and mix until cake is crumbly.
- Add nutella and mix until just incorporated.
- Add hazelnuts and mix until combined.
- Roll into tablespoon size balls and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler until smooth.
- Dip balls one at a time with a fork and allow to dry and harden.
- Drizzle with royal icing and top with clear sugar sprinkles.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Southern Baked Spaghetti Casserole - June 7, 2023
- Grilled Mexican Shrimp Salad - June 5, 2023
- Potato and Spinach Saute' - June 1, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🙂 looks divine!
Lark (SparkyLarky)@ Lark's Country Heart
I think these sound and look DIVINE!I love the use of Nutella!
Wow, those look delicious!
These seriously look amazing! Thanks for sharing your recipe this week & linking up @ my blog.
Thank you so much! They didn't last long in my house!!;)
these look divine.. i think these can easily be put in my holiday basket!