Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch Balls are a rich and delicious cake ball recipe made with creamy Nutella, chopped hazelnuts, chocolate cake and dipped in melted chocolate. These bite-size balls are perfect for a holiday party or cookie exchange.
After playing around with making cake pops this Halloween, I thought it would be fun to do a cake ball for my Christmas cookie exchange. I wanted to try a new twist on the cake pop recipe, so I added one of my favorite things in the whole world to the cake crumbles…..NUTELLA (a.k.a heaven on a spoon).
I knew that Nutella would work incredibly well as a binding agent instead of the frosting that normally holds a cake ball together. I also added chopped hazelnuts for a great crunch. A new family favorite was born this week. These little Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch Cake Balls are dangerously delicious!!
Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch Balls
1 ½ cups hazelnuts, chopped finely
1 (13 oz) container Nutella
12 oz bag Ghirardelli bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp shortening
Royal icing for drizzling
*Optional: Sugar sprinkles
Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler until smooth. Dip balls one at a time with a fork and allow to dry and harden.
Drizzle with royal icing and top with clear sugar sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator.
- 1 Devil’s food cake baked and cooled (box or homemade)
- 1 ½ cups hazelnuts chopped finely
- 1 13 oz container Nutella
- 12 oz bag Ghirardelli bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp shortening
- Royal icing for drizzling
- *Optional: Sugar sprinkles
- Prepare cake and cool.
- Break cake up into sections and place into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Set mixer to low and mix until cake is crumbly.
- Add nutella and mix until just incorporated.
- Add hazelnuts and mix until combined.
- Roll into tablespoon size balls and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler until smooth.
- Dip balls one at a time with a fork and allow to dry and harden.
- Drizzle with royal icing and top with clear sugar sprinkles.
- Store in the refrigerator.