A healthier recipe for lightened-up chicken divan that's sure to please the pickiest palate made with white cheddar, chicken, and broccoli.
My seven-year-old daughter's exact words after eating this meal were "this Chicken Divan is divine!" Everyone in the family loved this dish. I got the inspiration for this lightened-up Chicken Divan recipe from one of my blog favorites Skinnytaste.
This casserole is so full of flavor and does not taste low-calorie at all!! I used half a block of extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded, instead of the swiss, and made a few other changes to the original recipe to suit our tastes. The white cheddar gave this casserole the best flavor! This one-dish meal is easy to make and definitely a new family favorite meal!
How To Make Lighter Chicken Divan
Adapted from Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
- Broccoli florets
- Cooked boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh garlic cloves, minced
- Sweet Vidalia onion, chopped very fine
- All-purpose gluten-free flour (I used King Arthur brand)
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- 2% milk
- Dry sherry cooking wine(you can use white wine, but sherry gave this dish great flavor)
- Extra-sharp white cheddar
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Seasoned whole-wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli florets and boil for 5-6 minutes. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I love to use a clay roaster for this because it keeps the chicken very moist. Cool and transfer chicken to a cutting board.
When cooled, slice chicken into bite-sized pieces. Heat a skillet on medium heat. Add the butter and oil until melted and then add garlic and onion and cook until soft. Sprinkle the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in broth, milk, and sherry and bring to a boil while whisking.
Bake 30 minutes, serve hot.
This Lightened-Up Chicken Divan is definitely a new favorite in this house!
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 4 boneless chicken breasts cooked (about 4 oz each)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- ½ small sweet Vidalia onion chopped very fine
- 4 tablespoon all purpose gluten-free flour I used King Arthur brand
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 oz dry sherry cooking wine you can use white wine, but sherry gave this dish great flavor
- 8 oz extra-sharp white cheddar
- ¼ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup seasoned whole wheat or gluten free breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and blanch 5-6 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I love to use a clay roaster for this because it keeps the chicken very moist.
- Cool and transfer chicken to a cutting board.
- When cooled, slice chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Add the butter and oil until melted and then add garlic and onion and cook until soft.
- Sprinkle the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in broth, milk and sherry and bring to a boil while whisking.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the cheddar cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the broccoli in a casserole dish and pour half of the sauce over the broccoli.
- Arrange the chicken on top and cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese, grated parmesan and top with breadcrumbs.
- Spray a little oil on top.
- Bake 30 minutes, serve hot.