These delicious Strawberry Lemonade cookies are incredibly easy to make using premade strawberry cake mix, fresh lemon juice, and lemon zest. This easy cake mix cookie recipe might become your new summertime favorite! If you are whipping these up for a party, you may want to double the batch because they disappear fast!
This cake mix cookie recipe is a delicious twist on an Orange cake mix cookie recipe that originally came from my mom. Her recipe uses wheat germ blended in with the cake mix, but I substituted the wheat germ for ground golden flaxseed instead (just like I did with the orange cake mix cookies). I love the health benefits of flax, it's a good source of omega 3's, lignans, and fiber. If you've never baked with flaxseed before, don't worry you won't detect it at all in these cookies and it's gives the recipe an added nutrition boost. Especially since we are basically cheating with the boxed cake mix. 😉
Ingredients You'll Need
- Strawberry Cake Mix - It starts with a box of Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix. It's the best one that I've tried for this recipe. If you want to be more of a purist with this recipe, you can always use an organic or whole grain boxed cake mix version. However, I can't guarantee the same results with a different product since I haven't tested it with different brands.
- Butter - For a classic buttery cookie flavor.
- Sugar- A little extra sugar is added to the batter for that perfect cookie texture.
- Egg- The egg adds moisture and protein to the cookie dough to obtain the desired chewy texture.
- Ground Golden Flaxseed- using ground flaxseed helps to reduce the amount of fat used in the dough while adding a nutrition and fiber boost to the recipe.
- Fresh lemon juice and zest - Adds moisture and infuses a wonderful lemon flavor throughout.
- Confectioners Sugar - Sweetens up the frosting while keeping it nice and smooth.
Step 1. Preheat The Oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2. Prepare The Batter. In a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and beat to combine. Add cake mix, flaxseed, 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind, lemon juice, and water. Beat until thick but smooth.
Step 3. Bake The Cookies. Drop batter by tablespoon size balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (I use a small cookie scoop with a handle for this). Bake until the surface is puffed and slightly cracked, about 13 minutes.
Step 4. Prepare The Glaze. While the cookies are baking, grab the powdered sugar, remaining orange juice, and zest, and make the frosting glaze. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
Step 4. Glaze The Cookies. When cookies have completely cooled, give them a generous coating of the lemon glaze. A pastry brush works great for this. After all of the cookies have been glazed, allow them to set for about 20 minutes. Enjoy immediately, or follow my instructions below for storing and freezing.
Always go for fresh lemon juice and lemon zest for the best flavor. I highly recommend using a Microplane grater for this, because it creates a fine zest that blends well in the batter and frosting. I LOVE my Microplane zester and use it all the time. Trust me, it's worth the minimal investment for your kitchen tool collection.
Freshly squeezed juice is best for flavor, I do not recommend the lemon juice from concentrate as an alternative, and definitely do not skip the zest! It adds a wonderful pop of flavor that isn't overpowering.
The batter will be thick for scooping. I like to use a small cookie scoop to make tablespoon-size balls. The release lever makes it easy to drop them onto the pan.
Storing & Freezing
Storing. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Freezing. These cookies freeze beautifully, but they probably won't last that long. You can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. We love them right out of the freezer!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
LIKE THIS RECIPE? DON'T FORGET TO PIN IT FOR LATER, RATE, COMMENT, AND HIT THOSE SHARE BUTTONS! 🙂
Strawberry Lemonade Cookies
- For the cookies:
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 box strawberry supreme cake mix 18.25 oz size (I used Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme)
- ¾ cup ground golden flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind A Microplane grater is recommended for this
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon water
- For the frosting glaze:
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon grated lemon rind Again, a microplane grater works best to create fine zest
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter and sugar until creamy, about 2 mins.
- Add egg and beat to combine.
- Add cake mix, flaxseed, 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind, lemon juice, and water. Beat until thick but smooth.
- Drop batter by tablespoon size balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (I use a small cookie scoop with a handle for this).
- Bake until the surface is puffed and slightly cracked, about 13 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely and make the frosting glaze. In a medium-size bowl, stir 1 tablespoon lemon rind, 4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar with a whisk until smooth.
- Using a pastry brush, coat cooled cookies with frosting glaze and allow to set until dry, about 20 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze.
- Meal Prep Healthy Egg McMuffin Copycat (High Protein High Fiber) - February 26, 2024
- Breakfast Ground Turkey Quinoa Bowl - February 12, 2024
- Easy Greek Air Fryer Halibut (Oven Baked Option) - February 7, 2024