Southwest Beef Breakfast Muffins are delicious breakfast meatloaves made with veggies, lean beef, and whole-grain carbs. Perfect for meal prep!
*This post for Southwest Beef Breakfast Muffins is part of my role as a compensated member of the Beef Expert Bureau. However, all opinions are my own and not influenced in any way.
Beef...It's Not Just For Dinner
If you've never tried meatloaf for breakfast, but you definitely should. These Southwest Beef Breakfast Muffins can be made the night before. In the morning, all you need to do is pop them into the oven.
We all love easy, am I right?! Healthy eating shouldn't be complicated. Cooking should be enjoyable and not add stress to your, already busy, life.
Add a fried egg on top of these melt-in-your-mouth meaty muffins for a tasty protein boost. You'll get a hefty serving of protein from the lean beef and whole egg and added nutrients from the peppers and avocado.
I like to serve these mini muffins with a side of sautéed fresh spinach or leftover broccoli. The more greens on your plate the better. Protein and veggies do a body good!
Southwest Beef and Egg Muffins are another favorite breakfast muffin of mine, but they are more like a frittata instead of a mini breakfast meatloaf. If you love eggs for breakfast, you'll love this make-ahead recipe for breakfast meal prep.
Tip For Making Beef Breakfast Muffins
Make sure that you spray your muffin tins REALLY WELL with olive oil spray before you fill them. I hate doing dishes and it's not fun scraping off anything that sticks to the pan!
If beef for breakfast is your thing, Beef It's What's For Dinner has incredible inspiration to get more protein in your morning meal. The Beefy Sweet Potato Hash is phenomenal and one of my absolute favorites!
Don't just make these Southwest Beef Breakfast Muffins for breakfast either, they make a quick and easy kid-friendly dinner. If you're a cilantro hater, feel free to use fresh parsley as a sub or leave the herbs off altogether.
Salsa from scratch is amazing. Don't be intimidated, it's super easy to make. Homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought brand will work well in this recipe.
Southwest Beef Breakfast Muffins
- 1 lb lean ground beef 90% or less
- 4 oz light cheddar cheese shredded from block
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup baked whole grain tortilla chips
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray for muffin pan
For the garnish
- Fried egg
- Avocado Slices
- Salsa your favorite brand or homemade
- Fresh cilantro
- Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onion and sauté until just soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Toss whole-grain tortilla chips in a food processor and process until finely ground. Mixture should resemble bread crumbs.
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl and add ground chips and onion mixture mixing well with your hands.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray and divide meat mixture, evenly, in all cups.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Add your optional garnishes: fried egg, avocado slices, fresh chopped cilantro, and hot sauce, if desired.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
I totally love this. Bet is would be fabulous with some grass-fed beef from a local farm.
Yes! I love some of the local grass-fed beef here! So good!!
Those southwest beef breakfast muffins with the egg and avocado look delicious!!! Definitely my kind of breakfast.
Thank you! xo~